Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know where can I find a good used outboard. My '99 125 Merc Bluewater is a little underpowered for my 21' WA. It would also be nice if it was 4 stroke as well.
Thanks,

---------------------------------------------------------------

TIGHT LINES TO ALL.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I have purchased several Mercury outboards from Short's Marine in Millsboro, Delaware - late models, new in the box full warranty - very please with the prices and service and NO MD SALES TAX!

Good luck

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How hard is it to repower an outboard by yourself
And also how much would the dealer charge you to repower an outboard

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
How hard is it to repower an outboard by yourself
And also how much would the dealer charge you to repower an outboard
I did mine by myself this year, well not repower but put a used merc 150 on a boat I built. the rigging is a piece of cake especially if you get one with the same harness plug...You'll need an A frame and a chain fall and a lifting tool sold by merc for 40$ that screws into the top of the flywheel to set it, but that was all easy. I used a beam in my garage and just shored it up with 4x4's to support the weight of the 500lb motor.

Whatever you do DO NOT use palm beach outboards, they are super cheap and will ship to your door for 350$ and they repaint their motors so they look awesome but mine was junk and the guy that runs it Russel is a complete didlo.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Almars typically sells new, re-manufactured, and used. Call Jack there and ask what he has in inventory. Their website doesnt seem up to date.
Did they hook up the outboard on your boat, or did you attach it on yourself.
If they hooked it on, how much did it cost?
If you did it by yourself, was it hard, and did you have to report to the DNR that you repowered your boat?

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
I purchased a new boat and had them hang a new motor on it. Because I was registering a boat I had to pay taxes on the entire rig when I registered the boat. They did a good rigging the motor.

I don't think you have to report a repowered motor to Maryland DNR that is purchased in Delaware. However you may want to check with them to verify.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I purchased a new boat and had them hang a new motor on it. Because I was registering a boat I had to pay taxes on the entire rig when I registered the boat. They did a good rigging the motor.

I don't think you have to report a repowered motor to Maryland DNR that is purchased in Delaware. However you may want to check with them to verify.
How much did they charge to rig the boat?

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
I don't recall. It was a number of years ago now. Besides It was an optimax with digital throttle and shift and on a boat that didn't have a prior power. You may be able to save some of the rigging you already have. Call them to get an estimate

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't recall. It was a number of years ago now. Besides It was an optimax with digital throttle and shift and on about that didn't have a prior power. You may be able to save some of the rigging you already have. Call them to get an estimate
Will do.
Thanks for the help

1 - 13 of 13 Posts