Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ah yes, another Morel season has come and gone in the Roanoke area (well, almost gone). It was a good year. Below is a photo of me holding a giant morel over my head for size reference. I have a big head [wink]

Yumm. Yumm.

Same shroom on a Food and Wine Cover, for size reference.

Feeling inspired, I went back the next day to see what the night's rain brought. Hark, there were more! I set up the camera for self-timer, ran to the back of the shroom, and before the first photo snapped, I noticed two more giant caps in view, so I of course took photo #2 which you see here. As you can see, the 'green out' had occured, which was somewhat of a suprise to me. I thought the morel season was 'over', being so green and warm already. As you can see, I was pleasantly suprised to be wrong.

I have a new idea for morel eating:

California Rolls with Morel strips. Yummmm

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, before anyone commits the akward faux-pas of asking the wrong questions, let me provide a few answers:

No, I won't 'give you a few'
No, they're not for sale
No, I won't tell you where they are

Just thought I'd clarify that

Chopper, you out there??

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
Yuck...looks like something that was stuck on the bottom of my shoe yesterday.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Thanks for the post and the picture. I started hunting this year (Pax River area), but haven't had any success. The pic really helps me to have an idea of what/where/how things look.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
I went twice this season and found none--I need to drive a little farther and try some different woods. The place where I found a boat load of them 10 years ago, I go back every year, and nope, never again. I have better (but not good) luck finding chanterells.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Popster, these are HUGE morels, relatively. I've harvested over 200 that weren't over 3" long. I like to go in the AM when the sun light is on the forest floor just right, makes the morels glow like little light bulbs.

Hippie, any help on what kind of environ to search for Chantarells?

Anybody know how to ID a truffle in the field? Likely habitats?

Check out this site for general Morel info

http://www.morelsandmore.com/index2.htm

·
Tidal Fish SUPER Commercial Subscriber
10,897 Posts
Well that certainly explains quite a bit. Great pictures! What does the placing of the shroom on the head do - grow hair?

·
Registered
116 Posts
WOW! I've travled many miles in search of those suckers! Popster, I collect mushrooms around the Pax river area and there are Morels to be found, but there nowhere near as plentiful as the Chantrells and Hedgehogs.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
TT. when I find chanterelles, they are usually in a mature woods, almost always right at trailside, but also sometimes next to a fairly fresh decomposed log (i.e., it's all dirt but yu can see the outline. Don't take this to mean that I find them when I set ouot for them, but usually find a few each summer. July, early august, have found some dried up ones in september.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts