Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading another thread about Goodyear's Marathons, I googled up some info/reviews/etc on these tires.

Thought I was going to get those tires as my next set. Now I'm not so sure. A variety of reviews, both good and bad.....though a fair number of bad experiences, are out there.

Ok, so we all know we have problems with most any merchandise, but here's my perspective - In many years of driving and towing, I've yet to have those kinds or numbers of problems with any vehicle or trailer tires.

Really wanted to replace trailer's bias tires with radials this time. Only issues I've had with bias are uneven wear - a given for bias tires on boat trailers, and sidewall cracking - another given for the use they get. Never had a bias trailer tire fall apart. Don't know if the "smoother" ride or better MPG with radials are worth the risk as stated in (some of) the reviews on the Marathons, which reportedly are falling apart.

Any more thoughts??:confused: :sweatdrop:

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
2,741 Posts
After reading this thread I checked out epinions.com and theres either someone thats coming on there with diffferent names to bash them, or there is some serious problems with marathons, I have them on my trailer, thats a little scary

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Goodyear Marathons= Now made in China!! just like many of the other brands

I was also considering them but not anymore

·
Registered
849 Posts
i don't know about the goodyear marathons specifically, but i would opt for radials over bias ply anytime. all four of my trailers have had radials, and i've never had a problem or complaint. i believe they "ride" better, and cerainly track better.

just my .02

b

·
Registered
90 Posts
I managed a tire shop for 13 years. I sold alot of trailer tires over the years. The only problems I noticed with most trailer tires were separations on tires that were 5+ years old. The treadwear was minimum but age is what got them. There is a reason the manufacturers only warrant the product for 3 years from service date. When buying trailer tires you need to look at the DOT Number on the sidewall near the bead to determine the week and year of manufacture. I personally would never buy any tire if it was manufactured over six months prior to purchase. Trailer tires are a seasonal product and what did not sell last summer is still in the rack to sell in the spring. Some "new" tires may be a couple years old. Here is an explaination on how to date your tires you are buying I pulled this from a Rubber manufacturers of America website. This Refers to the DOT # "Adjacent to this is a tire identification or serial number. This serial number is a code with up to 12 digits that are a combination of numbers and letters. The last characters are numbers identifying the week and year of manufacture. (Example: "1501" means fifteenth week of the year 2001.) Always have the retailer show you the exact tires you are buying and check the age before you buy. Although a tire has never been used if it is a couple of years old the rubber has continually hardened just as it would have if it was on the trailer or vehicle. No matter what kind you buy make sure they are fresh.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Thanks for that info Skiff. Have had goodyear trailer tires on for a while now and have not had any problems with them. Not sure if they were marathons or not it has been that long.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Check out the RV sites too. Lots of discussion about trailer tires in them.

In general, what I've found by reading them, is that for the most part, people have less problems with Goodyear Marathons (even the ones made in China), than they do with the others.

Get the right load range (next range up if you are close to a limit), keep them at the right pressure, and keep the sun off them as much as possible. The UV from the sun, dries and hardens the sidewalls. That is why you see a lot of RVers who cover their tires with vinyl covers when the RV is sitting for any length of time.

Watching the Snow Birds move in/out of an area is amazing. As soon as they arrive, crew-drill takes place, and someone covers the tires as soon as the rig is leveled and hooked up to the utilities and sewage. There is a good reason they do that with monotonous regularity...the destructive power of the sun, and the high cost of tires.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Skiff
Thanks for the info. I knew tires were dated but had forgotten how to decode it, & the tip on inspecting the exact tire that you get is good info
thanks

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
One thing no one knows........is How much air pressure is being maintained in the Tires that fail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [or the ones that don't]MAXIMUM air pressure SHOULD be maintained in the Tires!!!!!I can't stress this enough.

Bias ply Tires are much more forgiving than radials when it comes to air pressure.If ya' take notice of a Radial tire thats run LOW on air pressure...You'll notice a buldge at the bottom of the Tire.Every rotation of that Tire,the sidewall bends where the tread contacts the road.This Creates HEAT[excessive]at the bend in the sidewall.Heat is a Tires worst enemy!!!This over time weakens the sidewall area and then,the sidewall will usually fail.

I will Guarentee you that most Tire failures and Wear problems are from Low air pressure and lack of rotation!!Hope this helps!By the way....Has Anyone EVER seen a Loadstar K-550 Trailer Tire NOT cupped out????? [Mike]

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Loan Ranger makes a good point about the ones that failed. What was the casue. No doubt some fail just because, but where was the poressure, how were the bearings, were the tires balanced, were they the right load range, etc ,etc,etc,etc, Just beacuse the amnufacturer put them on doesn't mean anything. Nobody ever admits that a failure was their fault.

The original tires on my trailer were replaced because of a suggestion from Dave's trailers who said the 13" for my 19' albeit the load range was acceptable were probably undersized and that they normally put 14" on their 19' boats. (Or 12"and 13" I can't remember what's out there)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good year Marathons corrected the problem of cupping I had with Loadstar, I would buy the Goodyear again. Tire pressure is the number one killer.
Tom

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies folks.

Tire pressure in radials wouldn't be a problem here...nor any other remedial maintenance on tires, rims, bearings, etc....I'm anal about checking all of that (at least on the boat trailer).

I recognize there are inherent problems with bias ply tires on boat trailers, and I agree that we don't always know the reasons for the failures in the radials we read about.

I'm not too awfully familiar with the few other brands available as radial ST's, but whatever else is out there, I seem to only be finding info about failures with the Marathon's coming apart. And that's the rub in my upcoming decision.

Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts