Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We waited all season for the geese to hit the one little creek that we hunt in Frederick and my brother called the other night and said it was time. Killed 28 with 8 guns, but we probably shoulda done better. Had too many circling a couple of times and it's hard to hide 8 guys in a little creek. Got 2 banded birds, one was double banded with a 50 dollar reward band. Gonna try 'em again in the morning, but it's probably not going to be easy to talk 'em into getting smashed in the face again. [wink]

·
Registered
887 Posts
Our season ended on 1/28 with a 2 bird limit so you guys can slaughter them? I guess some states need to be reserved in the harvest...[shy]

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, I guess we gotta shoot geese since we can't spend our winter dredging for female crabs.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I am a little confused. In md there is an 8 bird limit for canadas? I have never heard of that? Is there a reason for that? J/C I have always experienced the two bird limit. In CT I didn't get the chance to goose hunt until I was 15 or 16 because of the season closure for a couple of years. I know the geese have recovered but have they recovered enough to justify an 8 bird limit?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MD is divided into resident (western part of state) and the migrating birds on the eastern shore. We did have an 8 bird limit early in the season, but it's at 5 birds now until the end of the season on Wednesday. I can promise you there is no shortage of resident birds out this way and it seems like there's more every year. We went back yesterday and only got 3. The big flocks were still in the area and they gave us a look, but I don't think anything could have convinced them to come in there again yesterday. FJ

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is the late resident season in Maryland. It is supposed to be for non-migratory birds. Perfectly legal on the western shore. DNR ends up changing the boundries for this every year. It is obvious to me that AP birds are being taken during this late "resident" season.

It is especially clear that this must be changed when guys post up about bands taken. Hopefully they will be reported and the late resident season changed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I do agree that the resident population increases during the last few weeks. However keep in mind that although AP geese are mixed in the majority of the bands taken here are from neighboring states to determine the range of resident geese. West Virginia seems to make the bulk of bands taken.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The one band that my brother ended up with said Laurel, MD. I'm not a rocket scientist, but i'll just take a wild guess and say that one was probably a resident.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yikes, your wild guess would be wrong, but on the bright side, you're no rocket scientist. All bands that were a certain age say Laurel, Maryland. Many now have Washington DC. Doesn't mean they were all banded in these two cities. That's just where you you write after a bird is harvested. Some have toll free numbers. Please give the band to someone that will correctly report the harvest data. This is used to help all the USF&WS plan seasons across many states and will hopefully guide the state of Maryand to properly set the AP and RP boundries.

·
Banned
859 Posts
......there are a few AP's here and there mixed into resident flocks....but Drew, you know as well as I that these birds over here are infact resident birds. Please post this over the refuge. I'd be very interested to see how others more directly involved in this feel about it. For years, the Eastern shore land owners and outfitters have been sticking it to everyone with they're high priced lands and leases, now the Resident goose population has exploded opening a vast portion of the western shore of Maryland to a goose hunting gold mine. The Eastern shore can not stand it because they don't have a hand it in and they have to sit back and watch those fortunate enough to have places to hunt over here take 5-8 birds to they're 2, and hunt much longer.....and believe me, they're doing whayever they can to stop it. There have been reports and eyewitness accounts of people taking banded birds on the Eastern Shore and calling them in as shot on the Western Shore. Just wrong. Anyway, this topic needs to be over at the Refuge where people more versed and knowledgable on this subject than any of us, can chime in.

[smile][smile][wink]

.....nice job Fat Jimmy!!![smile]

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Drew- don't worry the band was "correctly" called in by my brother before the goose was even cold. I kind of thought about it after I wrote about the band saying Laurel, Md and figured that I was wrong. However, the last banded goose we got off this farm was banded 4 years prior a couple of miles from where it was shot, so i'm still pretty confident this bird was a local. I had no idea what a can of worms I was opening by simply posting a hunting report, but it will be my last. We've been playing around with waterfowling for the last 5 or 6 years now and this was the best hunt i've been on and I was just trying to share my excitement. Durado- thanks for the congrats.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have no problem with the early resident season. Clearly, a September early season is all about the residents. AP geese don't start showing up until late October.

I do not like the late resident season on the western shore because there are AP birds on the other side of the bay this time of the year. Maybe it is due to the pressure on the eastern shore that pushes the birds across the bay.

If they were truly residents why is the season so poor in September and everyone "massacres" them after the AP season. If they were truly RP's wouldn't the September season be hot also?

Nothing personal, I just see a big problem heading down the road.

There are plenty of guides and outfitters taking advantage of the late resident season and the very high limits on the western shore, just like the eastern shore.

I suspect that when we get a lower daily bag in a few years, this will be one of the causes. The scientific data is always years too late. The goose population crash and the closed season was not all that long ago. This was due to the bird counts being done down here, rather than the nesting grounds. There was never a sudden crash, but years of a limit that was set too high and a reliance on incorrect migratory goose population estimates. Same folks that were responsible for incorrectly counting migratory geese then are the same that set the boundries and limits for RP birds.

There are very few examples of RP geese with ADVISE (federal) bands done down here in the spring or summer time. I have asked many times and still try to get that information. Additionally, AP geese can become residents, ie banded in Quebec a few years ago and stay. However, based on the banding numbers, it highly unlikely that a banded bird shot in this area is a resident.

I don't want to open this can on the fuge and start an east vs west thing. Every year at this time there's photos of 50+ geese and a few bands from "resident" hunts. Nobody every posts up the band data later.

·
Registered
207 Posts
jimmy, dont worry about the jealous ones, be happy you are one of the lucky ones who can be doing the late season thing. the geese are back and will be for a long time to come but you're right about the crabs, but thats another issue. keep on postin' !!!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
theres no doubt that there are ap geese on the western shore ,just like there are rp geese on the eastern shore .in the past 8 years over here on the western shore i probably have 50 or 60 bands all rp geese except 3 or4 .

congradulations on the hunt only a few more days left.

remember the shore guys did it to there selfs ,they put the price tag on the gooses head.it was all about the $$$$$$$$$$ so let them sweat it out now

·
Banned
859 Posts
[q] If they were truly residents why is the season so poor in September and everyone "massacres" them after the AP season. If they were truly RP's wouldn't the September season be hot also?
[/q]

.....crops are up and fields are not available as well, food is abundant and the geese do not have to fly and they do not. They loaf because they can....but we still crush over here in September.....just a different strategy.....I find it hard to believe "you" acutally didn't know that. lol

There are outfitters and guide services over here, and they all are great people.....as are many one the shore.

The reason I'd like to see this post over at the fuge., not to make it an East vs. West issue, but the actual person, Larry Hindman, doing the banding and data research can read an answer your questions regarding it.

I hunt both sides of the bay very often, and one things for sure......I ain't never shot a 15 pd goose in Chestertown.....and I've never shot an 8 pounder in Tawneytown. It happens, Yes, but not often.
This year, the MDDNR and the USFWS are actually thinking of uping the bag limit and opening the season as early as August1, allowing unplugged guns, e-callers and extending the shooting time to 1/2 hour after sunset.

There must be a problem with the RP goose populations if they are willing to go those distances. In Maryland alone, the population is more than twice the size the State would like to see, and the states to the north of us, where our resident birds come from, are even worse.

I feel your pain and I wish you all the luck in trying to stop it. [smile]

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes, I paidxxxxxxxxxxxto lease a farm. But, it is actually 14 farms containing 2,800 acres. It's almost 4 miles wide. It also has a 3,000 square foot house and 6,000 square feet of storage. The first year I had it someone offered to lease it for 25% more than I paid for it the first year, so it can't be that much off the market price.

It's wedged between a state and federal wildlife refuge and is one of the premier properties in DELAWARE. For two months this year, the water in the middle of this group of farms held the largest concentration of snow geese on the east coast. We also have a large RP population. On the opener 8 guys shot 56 geese in less than an hour in a dirt field.

I lease a bunch more on the eastern shore that makes xxxxx look small considering a price per acre. My club is not run for profit. We have open finances and it took off because there are regular guys being priced out of waterfowl hunting. Our club makes it possible to hunt the best farms and spread the cost among all the members. This type of club, done right, was badly needed in this area. However, I am not sure what this has to do with the Late RP season.

The farms are loaded right now. Hundreds of geese in every field and pond. Just because they are there now, doesn't mean they are staying the summer.

I have spoken to DNR and looked at the data. Everytime, they ceed the point "yes there are some AP birds killed in the late RP season. I just dislike the late RP season. Nothing against the early season, in September when you can be more certain that there are no AP birds around.

It would a more sound argument if DNR would say that the AP birds killed in the late season were necessary to reduce the RP population. Or make the RP season later, or further restrict the area.

Why is the late RP season 5 rather than the normal 8 birds in the early season if such a huge problem exists?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I edited my last message since the one above that was edited asked some specific questions. Since I do not know who this person is, I would like to leave the response, and edit the $$$$.

Appreciate the responses and sorry to get the original thread off tract. Hopefully, I can get it back on track by saying good hunt, congrads on a fun day out and keep the powder dry.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts