Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"POWER: GORE MANSION USES 20X AVERAGE HOUSEHOLD; CONSUMPTION INCREASE AFTER 'TRUTH'
Mon Feb 26 2007 17:16:14 ET

The Tennessee Center for Policy Research, an independent, nonprofit and nonpartisan research organization committed to achieving a freer, more prosperous Tennessee through free market policy solutions, issued a press release late Monday:

Last night, Al Gore's global-warming documentary, An Inconvenient Truth, collected an Oscar for best documentary feature, but the Tennessee Center for Policy Research has found that Gore deserves a gold statue for hypocrisy.

Gore's mansion, [20-room, eight-bathroom] located in the posh Belle Meade area of Nashville, consumes more electricity every month than the average American household uses in an entire year, according to the Nashville Electric Service (NES).

In his documentary, the former Vice President calls on Americans to conserve energy by reducing electricity consumption at home.

The average household in America consumes 10,656 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per year, according to the Department of Energy. In 2006, Gore devoured nearly 221,000 kWh-more than 20 times the national average.

Last August alone, Gore burned through 22,619 kWh-guzzling more than twice the electricity in one month than an average American family uses in an entire year. As a result of his energy consumption, Gore's average monthly electric bill topped $1,359.

Since the release of An Inconvenient Truth, Gore's energy consumption has increased from an average of 16,200 kWh per month in 2005, to 18,400 kWh per month in 2006.

Gore's extravagant energy use does not stop at his electric bill. Natural gas bills for Gore's mansion and guest house averaged $1,080 per month last year.

"As the spokesman of choice for the global warming movement, Al Gore has to be willing to walk to walk, not just talk the talk, when it comes to home energy use," said Tennessee Center for Policy Research President Drew Johnson.

In total, Gore paid nearly $30,000 in combined electricity and natural gas bills for his Nashville estate in 2006."

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
I'm sorry but a $1,359 electric bill being touted as extravagant ?

I have plenty of customers that would do backflips naked to have that bill.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
14,062 Posts
Please, by all means, reduce your relatively paltry energy consumption so that Al Gore and his Hollywood swells can live like kings with a clear conscience.
Somebody has to reduce their production of lethal carbon dioxide, and for the love of God, you can't imagine that would be Al Gore or Larry David's wife, now can you?
They are life's winners. They've made it in ways few of us can ever hope to; are you really suggesting that these one-in-a-million multimillionaires really give up the pleasures that wealth brings?
So please -- for the millionaires -- you people out there just using your cars to get to work and to get the kids to soccer camp will have to cut back, drastically, on what few creature comforts you enjoy so that Gore and Co. can continue jetting around the world on private jets.
Do it for Al. Do it for Chevy. Do it for the rest of the millionaires.
We're all going to have to tighten our belts if we want to avoid a grim future.
And by "all," I mean you, and definitely not the folks who could reduce their CO2 production by 95% simply by living their lives as if they were upper middle class rather than upper upper class.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
My monthly electric bill has only topped $100 once since the BGE rate increase last July. I'm still trying to make sense of it. My house is all electric.

When do the chickens come home to roost on the "Stabilization Deferral" ? It will probably come at the same time as the next major rate increase, causing a double whammy.

·
Registered
16,826 Posts

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
one-in-a-million multimillionaires
Are you suggesting that there are only 300 such folks in the US ?

The Forbes 400 richest Americans list ends at $1B, and Gore ain't even close to that.

·
14,062 Posts
Do as he says, not as he does. Typical among the Green crowd.
Unlike Dubya, who actually has an eco-friendly house (and notice how even that pisses off the righteous environmentalist who describes it here):

http://www.commondreams.org/views01/0429-03.htm

Published on Sunday, April 29, 2001 in the Chicago Tribune
Bush Loves Ecology -- At Home
by Rob Sullivan
The 4,000-square-foot house is a model of environmental rectitude.
Geothermal heat pumps located in a central closet circulate water through pipes buried 300 feet deep in the ground where the temperature is a constant 67 degrees; the water heats the house in the winter and cools it in the summer. Systems such as the one in this "eco-friendly" dwelling use about 25% of the electricity that traditional heating and cooling systems utilize.
A 25,000-gallon underground cistern collects rainwater gathered from roof runs; wastewater from sinks, toilets and showers goes into underground purifying tanks and is also funneled into the cistern. The water from the cistern is used to irrigate the landscaping surrounding the four-bedroom home. Plants and flowers native to the high prairie area blend the structure into the surrounding ecosystem.
No, this is not the home of some eccentrically wealthy eco-freak trying to shame his fellow citizens into following the pristineness of his self-righteous example. And no, it is not the wilderness retreat of the Sierra Club or the Natural Resources Defense Council, a haven where tree-huggers plot political strategy.
This is President George W. Bush's "Texas White House" outside the small town of Crawford.
Yes, the same George W. who believes arsenic and drinking water might not be such a bad combo, the same man who reneged on his campaign promise to lower carbon dioxide emissions from power plants, the same man who is doing everything in his power to fling open the Alaskan Natural Wildlife Refuge to oil drilling.
How does the President reconcile an eco-friendly abode for his own family with his persistent stand against anything that smacks of an environmentally friendly agenda for the nation as a whole? The answer to that perplexing question is a real mystery.
Perhaps sound ecological practices are only for those who can afford them: as a self-proclaimed strict constructionist of the U.S. Constitution, Bush must be aware that clean air and clean water are not guaranteed in that glorious document. Perhaps in Bush's Brave New Corporate World, clean natural resources are merely commodities in a free-market economy: if you can pay for them, fine; if not, tough. The rest of us will just have to put up with more toxic dumps and more public lands being turned over to logging, mining and oil companies.
According to David Heymann, the house's architect and associate dean of the University of Texas architecture department, Heymann designed the house so that "every room has a relationship with something in the landscape that's different from the room next door. Each of the rooms feels like a slightly different place."
In a USA Today interview, Heymann said, "There's a great grove of oak trees to the west that protects it from the late afternoon sun. Then there is a view out to the north looking at hills, and to the east out over a lake, and the view to the south . . . out to beautiful hills."
I suppose in George W.'s architectural world only the rich and powerful have views; vistas that the public owns as part of its shared heritage are up for lease and sale.
Heymann also termed the house "stunningly small." Really? Would it be stunningly small for a single mother in South Central Los Angeles? How stunningly small would it be for an immigrant Latino family in San Antonio Maybe in the rarified heights where second homes are the norm, 4,000 square feet is small and on a stunning scale as well, but in Main Street America that much elbow room is pretty big for the first and only home. But then most of us can't reconcile what might at first glance appear to be inherently irreconcilable. Maybe some day, like our noble president, we will be able to make that kind of staggering mental feat. That is, if we ever stop misunderestimating ourselves. Rob Sullivan is a freelance writer based in Los Angeles.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a house with 4,000 sq. ft of finished space and appx. 1,000 sq. ft. of unfinished space used for storage. We are currently in the process of putting up sheetrock in the unfinished space. When we first moved in we had a $500 bill then a $460 bill but we had subcontractors constantly going in and out, problems with the doggie door, and other doors that needed to be adjusted...... that has now been resolved.....(except for a couple window issues). Since that time we have not had a bill over $350....usually runs around $200. The house is all electric except for a gas cooktop, a gas fireplace (rarely used) and a gas powered whole house emergency generator (used only once for 4 hours). If I had a house that ate $1,359.00 a month......that sucker would have to GO!

·
Registered
16,826 Posts

·
14,062 Posts
I believe he was the first Congress critter to ever admit smoking dope.

·
14,062 Posts
Why does Al Gore's Nashville mansion use more than 20 times as much electricity as the national average?
  • Entire east wing is walk-in fridge for snacks
  • Tipper says there's no point listening to Cannibal Corpse if you don't TURN THAT $#!+ UP
  • Bush stole all the off-switches
  • Needs to run the AC non-stop to keep his daughters from burning the place down with their hotness
  • He's building a Death Star

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
Why does Al Gore's Nashville mansion use more than 20 times as much electricity as the national average?
  • Entire east wing is walk-in fridge for snacks
  • Tipper says there's no point listening to Cannibal Corpse if you don't TURN THAT $#!+ UP
  • Bush stole all the off-switches
  • Needs to run the AC non-stop to keep his daughters from burning the place down with their hotness
  • He's building a Death Star
:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts