Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will post pics when I can. Can anyone recommend a good taxidermist around Richmond, that might be open on Sunday?? It's warm out!!!!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the reply guys...

ended up going to Woodson's Taxidermy which is real near my house in Short Pump. Here are a couple of pics of my buck and.... the story.

Well, wasn't planning to hunt on Saturday as I had plans to attend HS-C
> vs. Randolph Macon game but the rain had family backing out of that so I
> happily decided to hunt instead!! ;-) Had a fork horn walk by me around
> 7:30 and that was it till around 10:30 when I was walking back to truck
> to go grab some lunch and walked right up on 2 small 8's and a wide 6.
> Let them walk as I was hoping for something with a little more mass.
> Got back to the farm around noonish and proceeded to put out some goose
> decoys and do a little truck hunting as the rain squalls had started up
> in earnest. Saw a couple of does moving but that was it till around 3
> when we decided to go ahead and get on our evening stands. Same spot I
> have had great success the past few seasons. Walk in across a pasture
> and stay well out from the woods so as not to spook anything. Seems to
> work as opposed to easier shorter ways of getting to stand. Nothing till around 4:30 or so when a couple of does came out
> down wind and make me out. They run off not too alarmed and when I look
> back to where I am expecting most deer to materialize, I catch a couple
> coming right at me from the corner of my eye. I don't look all the way
> up so as not to alert them and when I do ease my eyes further up, they
> have dissappeared. So keep watching and then the doe steps out at about
> 40 yards, but simultaneously, I catch a glimpse of some antlers in the
> brush right beside her. OK, game on. I hold tight and continue to catch
> glimpses of movements and antlers and get the impression that whatever
> he is, he is looking through the brush right at me trying to see what I am.
> Can't tell how big he is but can tell he has a pretty good spread. Have
> seen lots of wide but sparse 6 pointers in the area so I'm hoping it's
> not one of these. Finally I see him making a move towards an opening in
> the pasture so I put the gun up and WOW!!! He steps out, quartering
> towards me and looking right at me! All I am thinking is Field and
> Stream and I quit looking at his head and concentrate on his shoulder.
> The gun went off a little before I expected it too as I raised the
> crosshairs on his shoulder and when I could see clearly again, he was
> hauling ass out of site like nothing had happened. "OH no!" Did I shoot
> to low, but then I hear a LOUD crash and my hopes are back up. He ran
> about 40 yards with his shoulder destroyed, and heart shot with both
> lungs taken out too!! HUGE bodied deer. Has got to be over 200 lbs. When I caped him last night
> for the mount I am finally gonna do, his neck was ridiculously thick!!
> Anyhow, that is the story.

Trying to upload pics and keep getting Invalid file message? Any tips??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm calling him a 7

but he definitely has a small G3 I guess on one side to make him a legitimate 8, and if you count the "anything you can hang a ring on" I guess you could say he is a 9 or a 10 as he has some kickers at the base of his rack. 19 1/2 inch inside spread, 22 inch outside and pretty heavy beamed. Well over 200 lbs. Skinned neck was 26 inches just below head and over 30 above shoulders even after I removed a front shoulder cause it was shot to ****. A fellow tidalfisher is gonna post some pics for me that I emailed to his yahoo so I really appreciate that.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I had a bad experience with Woodsons. Took about 4 years to get a head back. You have to stay on him, I was at the point of going to pick up the antlers and cape and go somewhere else.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
eeeshhh!!

not what I wanted to hear. I did notice a massive one in there and when I aksed about it he said it was killed in Hanover and when I asked when he said last year. It hadn't been touched. But he did tell me it would take a year. I will definitely stay on him. Wish I could post those pics.... Grrrr.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Wow. A buddy of mine killed 2 nice ones last year. He didn't get them sent to the taxidermy until April. He just got them back. 7 month turn around, and only $250. They look great. Can't beat that with a big stick. The guy who does them is in kind of deep WV.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have heard of others whom have taken heads to him and have had a problem with timeliness. His work is really good, just time consuming.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just thought i would follow up on this. I called back in October and he said "copuple more months". Called in late December, "another month". My buddy goees in there recently to pick up a duck from his partner, and there my rack is, laying on the floor. Talked to him today and he said the form still hadn't come in. I don't hink he has odered the damn thing yet. He said it should be in "nezxt week"! Yeah right. I'm gonna call him back in April and if it's not ready, I'm gonna go pick up the rack and cape and take it elsewhere. You would think these guys would want to make some damn money!!! Were talking almost 16 months here!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
He has a turkey of mine that has been over 2 years- He has ducks that are over 3 years in the process- Dont hesitate to call him out on it as he already has your deposit I assume. Just recently found out my Turkey of 2 years has had nothing started on it- I am going by tomorrow and pull it and request my deposit back- He should not be taking on more work if he is so far behind- Good luck

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thing to remember is price doesn't always equal quality or reputation. I heard in this post about 2 deer at 250, How do you make money, there is about 75 to 90 dollars wrapped up in materials for just one shoulder mount. It takes between 7-10 hours from start to total finish on a shoulder mount, at 125 or 250 how do you make any money.

I run Open Acres Taxidermy in Va Beach and have had many customers bring me mounts from taxidermist they are tried of waiting on or pissed w/ the quality.
If you are one of these people, I would be happy to get you business and will get your mount back to you in four, yes four months. I normal turn around is 6-7 but will get it done faster since you have allready waited over a year or more.

www.openacrestaxidermy.com

1 - 17 of 17 Posts