Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to go crabbing yesterday. Backed down ramp and saw trailer wheel askew. Closer look revealed all bearings gone and spindle trashed.. Launched boat and tied it up. I drove to Eastern Trailer Superstore in Newark, Delaware and bought a new axle, hubs and tires and rims. Came back, installed all, pulled the boat and came home. Could have been much worse!! Check and grease your bearings. I just put this axle and hubs on in 2019...... Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
14,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, you were lucky Gary. Did you do all of those repairs at the launch ramp?

Mike
Yes. I was going to still crab afterwards because it was only 3:00 but decided I had enough for one day. One of my better decisions.. lol Don't know when it failed but yes, I was lucky to make it to the ramp. Never felt anything on the was....... Gary

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Gary when you stop for fuel ice etc do you take time to feel hubs.? Looks like they have been dry of greese for some time seeing all that red rusty dust.

·
Registered
14,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gary when you stop for fuel ice etc do you take time to feel hubs.? Looks like they have been dry of greese for some time seeing all that red rusty dust.
I don't usually stop on the way. I have not used my boat for about a month. Doesn't take rust long to build up. There was alot of grease on the inside of the wheel...... Gary

·
Registered
234 Posts
Well that blows chunks! Glad it didn't leave you stranded along the highway. Come to think about it I was following you the last time you had a bearing issue.

Was Dave's Trailers not an option for parts?

·
Registered
14,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well that blows chunks! Glad it didn't leave you stranded along the highway. Come to think about it I was following you the last time you had a bearing issue.

Was Dave's Trailers not an option for parts?

I checked all trailer places in the area. No one had that axle in stock. It was only 1 hr 45 minutes to Newark, Delaware. I did not want to leave my boat in the water ther especially with a strong storm coming...... Gary

·
Registered
411 Posts
It looks like the outer hub sheared off, maybe the outer bearing seized?

PS Just pulling everyones leg about the beltway speed bumps, they are actually called paving joints.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts