Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Yesterday evening I hatched what I thought would be a winning game plan. Ran it by my dad and he seemed to agree with me so we went to bed early dreaming of big fish!

Woke up at 3:30 this morning and was shooting out of St Jeromes by 6:00. I had my eyes set about thirty miles south at the cut channel by the mouth of the Rapp. It seemed to me that with the CBBT eeling reports just picking up, and the fishing getting a little slower around here, the cut channel just may be where the majority of the fish were holding up.

Well it quickly got a little rough from the southwest and by Smith Point the seas started really building. A few more miles south and my dad and I were just getting beat apart. I was only 11 miles from the cut channel at this point, but, with it being so rough and being so far away from home, we both thought the prudent thing to do was stop running away from the dock. I couldn't help to think about who would tow me in if I broke down. I was 20 miles away from the dock.

I made a 180 degree turn and ran about three miles north of where I was to Smith Point. Dropped the stuff in and started trolling. And trolling, and trolling, and trolling. About an hour and a half into it, we finally had our first bite. It never broke the rubber band on the board and I quickly found out why. It was only a 25" fish!

Another hour of boredom and we finally got a decent on, 275' back tiny 6arm umbrella. At 39" at least things were starting to look up.

Well I trolled for four more hours and did not get a hit. Finally I was starting to pull my hair out of my head I was so bored. I made the call and we pulled the stuff up without getting our limit. Several hours of trolling and two fish to show for it.

On the bay back in, we saw some birds working and jigged up a few sub legals, but that was it.

Don't make the run to Smith Point. It aint wirth it right now.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Looks like the time is right for the eel run. I'll bet there are 200 boats eeling form Cape Charles to the CBBT this weekend.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
francis , thats kinda funny....ONLY because i went to the same spot i was yesterday...On a good bite i got to late, but with everything i saw yesterday i thought today would be a breeze...wrong, after game plan a didnt work...my quick throw together plan b was to do what you did...south of Smith Point by about 7 miles before i said to hell with this and turned her around and trolled 70 for a short time and picked up one........which wasnt a skunk so i was kinda happy....rough bite aint the word for it .......havent heard much better anywhere up and down the bay, thank god for deer season tomorrow...maybe the bite will pick back up next week

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Good report Francis call it a prudent run kept your head got 2 more fish today then I did exhausted from work
Good luck Russ
Next year Mike I will start buying scratch off tickets now

·
Premium Member
26,108 Posts
That stretch of water off Smith Point has to be one of the nastiest places when it's windy.

I often wonder how many fish I run over on my way to the "hot spot" :D.

Glad you/your dad got back OK - thanks for the intell about a so so bite.Guess I'll stay up north another week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts