Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new Garmin 7" Combo unit to replace my old Garmin 498 on a 208 Grady. I thought it would be a fairly easy install since I put the old unit in several years ago. Just mount the unit in the e-box and the transducer on the transom.
I have heard good things on here about a local electronics installer so l thought what the heck, I'll see what they would charge since I'm pretty busy right now.
The price I was quoted to install the unit was $720.00!!! That's more than the unit itself cost!
Am I missing something here or what?
Looks like another DIY project.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
While many of the FF's I installed went well,not all jobs go easy. I remember a few years ago trying to run transducer wire under the deck of a CC.
No matter what I tried it would hang up -- once or twice I could see it pretty close but I was afraid to pull to hard, did want to pull connector off. My hands and arms were cut and bloody, and I even thought about calling neighbor to help me get out of boat because my back was killing me. After getting out of boat, I thought about getting a guy to do it - Called, price started at $400 - more if it took longer than a couple hrs. Next day, I went back and it went right through..
Anyway, It really depends on how much you want to do.. And just maybe his time is worth the $.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
The 498 is an excellent unit.

I'd also be interested in it. In fact, I'd install your new unit in exchange for it...

Tony (540)219-9818

·
Registered
26 Posts
You're right, 6 hours is crazy...Lynnhaven Marine only charged me 2 hours to replace my existing transducer, as well as add a 2nd StructureScan transducer & module.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts