Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Garmin chartplotter/sounder that uses Garmin data chips for mapping. Does anyone know the best (cheapest!) place to buy the chips? I think retail runs about $160. I think the charts are a ripoff, anyway. NOAA posts charts online for free, but the chartplotter industry enslaves us with these proprietary formats. Thanks for your intel.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Can you use the NauticPath chip in that unit? Theirs is only $99 and includes all the coastal waters for the country. Works great for my Lowrance.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Purchase the Blue chart software, a card reader and a blank chip. When you register the software you may unlock the area you want to use - mid Atlantic for example. You can do all of your plotting/planning, waypoints, fishin' holes, on the computer and put it in the Garmin. Then you get free software upgrades and free Garmin software upgrades so you can keep your GPS/plotter current forever.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tip Kevin. BOE's price is the same as the best I found online, and I can save on shipping by picking it up.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Last year at the Baltimore boat show I was able to get that chip for 125 from boater's world. Haven't been to any of the shows yet this year so I do not know what discount they are giving this year.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Try www.roguewavemarine.com They are the cheapest I can find online. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think Garmin updates the Blue Chart for free, you have to get a new code for it. They will give you free updates for the Waypoint manager. If you go with the Blue Chart, then a chip and a reader, it will be considerably more money.

·
Premium Member
26,149 Posts
Once you start using the chip to find edges/holes/dropoffs, etc. you will be willing to pay alot more.The chips make it so easy-even a caveman can do it.:p Skip

·
Registered
970 Posts
just type it into google and see what you get, shouldn't cost anymore than $110. Got mine at the boat show from boaters world for that price.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Once you start using the chip to find edges/holes/dropoffs, etc. you will be willing to pay alot more.The chips make it so easy-even a caveman can do it.:p Skip
Man I love those commercials........:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts