Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm loooking to upgrade my gps system . Right now i'm using a hummingbird 67x with a navionics gold chip in it. It came with the boat and does the job but that about it. I'm wanting to spend no more than 2k and need something that shows structure on the bottom and that has a radar to show if the weather changes for offshore fishing. I've been told that a good lawrance system is what i'm in need of . What are your thoughts??? I like the gps that was posted showing the actual picture of the shipwreck. Help me out here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
gps upgrade

Don't think $2000. will cover it, the garmin 3210 gps/sounder/also is xm weather compatable (at an additional yearly charge) may be a good place for you to start looking at so you may be able to narrow your search or expand your investment.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I personally own 2 Lowrance units (LCX 26 HD and LCX 25). They are nice units but if I was to purchase another one it would be a Raymarine simply because of the features and the options/upgrades that are available. Definately take a look at the xm weather feature on the Raymarine it is incredilble. Good luck and I hope my 2 cents helped.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you want sothing with chart ploter, sounder and radar you are going spend more than 2K. But for a 1K you can get good all in one color GPS/PLOTER/Sournder from GARMIN. Look at there web page. I have an older modle and am very happy with it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Go Garmin. I've had (and still have one piece) Raymarine and when somthing breaks they aren't ashamed of their prices at all. In fact, they're right proud of them. Also, Garmin is very user friendly, does the job right, and their customer service is one that about no one else can match.

When my last piece of Raymarine goes or even before that, it's getting replaced by a Garmin unit.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hey bud. I have a Garmin 178c sounder and love it. It does everything imaginable and is only about $600. It is color and tells you anything you need to know. It is also very user friendly.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Lowrance makes the side scan unit you mentioned, it runs around 2K but doesn't do radar. If you want an all in one unit with radar, GPS & sonar look at Raymarine or Garmin & plan on spending around $5 - 7 K.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
You might be able to find something in your price range on eBay or classified sections of various media.

When I first started out in the Gulf, I used a handheld GPS and handheld VHF; but sacrificed on verifying bottom topography w/o the bottom machine. Then it was s&d to find the best deals on what my priorities were, 1. Furuno bottom machine, then 2. Garmin "large" GPS, then 3. fixed ICOM VHF, then 4. the Furuno radar. Bottom line, all separate units and the only commonality is the power supply & NMEA connection. Fortunately, I have the space.

I've used & captained other boats w/ single units, but when they're down, they're down. Just your choice on what you want/have for discretionary spending and the amount of space you have to mount it/them.

Catch 'em up.
Evan.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the feedback, I have all day today to search the web but it sounds like either garmin or raymarine is the way to go. A few buddies of mine have lowrance systems and swap numbers out. We inputted the same numbers into a garmin 3210 and were off between 50 and 500 feet or so. My unit that i use now doesn't put out enough power. ( not enough pings) What i mean by that is if i go faster than 2mph it doesn't show the structure on the bottom even if i am right over the top of it and already marked the spot. Once i come to almost a complete stop the screen will refresh itself and then the structure will appear. This unit sucks when your searching for new structure with unverified numbers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts