Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be buying a boat soon. Any opinions on the Grady Tournament 225. Also looking at a Scout Dorado 222 or Scout Abaco 222 as those Gradys are sky high. Still struggling with the cabin vs open bow question (yes I have a wife who will crawl aboard from time to time and she won't be fishing!). Will run out of Urbanna area. Will take all opinions good and bad.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
What I would do if I were you (I'm offering no opinions on which boat you should buy) would be to get as much literature from the manufacturer as possible and read it. Then go to the show rooms of both boat manufacturers and scour over the boats with a fine tooth comb looking at construction, ammenities, and such and take a lot of notes. If you have a digital camera take that with you. Go home and compile a file for each brand with all the information you gathered.

Since you do not list where you are from under your name on this post, I can only recommend you visit the factories of these boats. Grady isn't too far into North Carolina.

Also, get the dealer to take you for a ride in snotty weather to judge the handling characteristics of each boat. You may find one or both of these boats don't handle well in a two, three or four foot sea or they may be a real wet ride requiring a full set of curtains.

With proper research you should be able to analytically make the decision that is correct for you. I recommend the above because it sounds as though you are looking to buy new and that will be quite a few thousand dollars. Don't let other be the sole source or major source of your information.

One more thing, ask questions around the area about the dealers and their reputations. This is going to mean an awful lot after the sale.

You can get a lot of opinions on a board like this and some will be very good and some will be not worth the print you read. Doing the above and making a very logical informed decision will be the best way you or anyone else buying a new boat (or used for that matter) can go. Otherwise, all you do is count up the good things people tell you about each boat (mostly thier own opinions) and then deduct the negative things; you still haven't got all the hard important facts and figures because all your information will be second hand hear-say.

Good luck on your choice of your new boat. [wink]

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Sandtiger. Very sound suggestions. Smooth Rider suggested I look at the Scout Abaco 242. I am going to check it out and include it in the survey since the Scout 242 with Yamaha F225 power (same as the Grady), a hard top, curtains, and trailer appears to be retail priced lower than the GW225 which includes none of the above expcept the F225. Anyway, thanks for the posts.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Slant,I've got the tournament 223 [no bracket].I love it.put up the curtains in bad weather and you are good to go.In pretty weather the front makes a good fishing platform or sunbathing deck.
she rides nice and dry in most reasonable seas and they are laid out nice.plenty of storage.
Grady will let you take a tour of the plant [which I did].
mine is powered with a 175 and it jumps out of the hole and cruises around 40 in calm seas at 5000rpms.
good luck on your choice.

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
Look at your budget and what your purposes are. If it is mainly fishing, compare the cockpit areas in the boat, rod storage, fishing amenities (livewell fish boxes), etc. If you mainly will be cruising, look at the seating, weather protection, cup holders, drink coolers, ease of use of the swim platform, dry clothes storage, etc.

I will say that the scout is a very small 22'er and the grady a very large 22'er. I think the Grady compares with the scout 242 better. Both are quality built boats and hold their value well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Before my last boat purchase I caught a ride (using Tidal Fish) on both of the boats I was considering. I found the one I favored, to be the one I liked the least. Take your time and try to fish them. Keith

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
[Q]dconner originally wrote:
I would take a look at Pursuit's 2570 Offshore it will blow GW's and scout both out of the water
[/Q]

Could you recommend a dealer[grin]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Rhode River Marina is a Pursuit dealer they are in Edgewater MD there phone number is 410-798-1568 there website is www.rhoderiverboats.com

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
[Q]slat0930 originally wrote:
Thanks Sandtiger. Very sound suggestions. Smooth Rider suggested I look at the Scout Abaco 242. I am going to check it out and include it in the survey since the Scout 242 with Yamaha F225 power (same as the Grady), a hard top, curtains, and trailer appears to be retail priced lower than the GW225 which includes none of the above expcept the F225. Anyway, thanks for the posts.
[/Q]
You are welcome. Hope you find the boat that you want and will be happy with. Good hard analytical decision is what you need. Another post here (above) is a good illustration of this when they said the boat they ended up with was the one they were least interested in - or something to that effect. This is exactly what I am trying to tell you.

Be opened minded. Don't do a list type thing where you have Pros on one side and Cons on the other and then count up the pros. All that does is set you up for a biased decision process because you'll end up justifying a pre-supposed decision. It's a poor way to judge the expendature of good money.

Good luck and let us know how you made out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If I were you I would get rid of the idea of a buying a Scout or a Grady and step up to the plate and buy a "48 Cavileer". The wife can watch the plazma TV while in the comfort of air conditioning, and you can fish while standing the spacious cockpit. Just a few bucks more for the boat you really want.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts