Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building a new house @ LaGrange Cr and the Rapp (near Urbanna) so will be new to the area in the spring. Like to fish and plan on learning about fishing in the area next spring when I also had planned to buy a boat. My boating experience has been with 18' bass boats and not coastal models. I have some things to learn there as well. Was planning on buyng a boat in the spring but my father in-law in South Carolina has become disabled and is offering me a very attractive price on a 2005 GW Tournament 225 that he had planned on using for fishing and crusing his grand kids around in. He had only had it about 9 months so I never have had a chance to even the see the boat. Its a big Dual Console (22.5') with the engine mounted on a drive bracket. I don't really know much about the boat other than what I could read on the GW site and the fact that GW seems to have a decent reputation. I am most interested in hearing any opinions on running this model boat in the Rappahannock and how it will handle the waters/conditions that are common in and around Urbanna and down to the mouth of the river. Thanks for any opinions or suggestions.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I don't have direct knowledge of the 225, but I had a Grady Gulfstream 235 and think it is a great boat. I only sold it because I wanted a bigger boat. I assume it has a Yamaha four stroke. No problem there either. I have a friend with an older 225 he uses only for fishing and he is very happy with it.You should also post on the hulltruth board. That has many more reader than TF and you can get some good info there. Welcome to the what I think is the best of the big rivers on the Bay. You will love it.

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
That is plenty of boat for the river, should work out well. Also should be okay in the bay. May need to invest in a sturdy soft or T-top with some type of curtains for comfort during fall rockfish season.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have the 19' GW Dual console and keep it just up river from you. I have found it to be a great boat for everything from tubing with the kids to rockfishing. I agree with the earlier post about the 22.5 being plenty of boat for the river and the bay.

Bmail me with any questions.

Rappangler

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all for the quick and helpful responses. I can already see this is good friendly board and a great resource. Looking forward to hanging my electronic hat here!

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
245 Posts
I have the Grady 223 ( same as your except no bracket. It is a very capable boat. It will do well in the bay. The 225 is nice in that the closed transom offers some livewell/fish box space that my 223 is lacking. Awesome amount of cockpit space for a 22 ft boat. Lacking in some fishing features, like limited tackle and rod storage. On the whole great boat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts