Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone , im not new to tidalfish but i don't post threads very often. Anyway I have a 24 foot Boston Whaler Outrage ,that I fish the bay some but most often I enjoy Shark fishing off of OC or Chinco. So the question is I have the opprotunity to get a nice Grady 27 sailfish so how does everyone think is that a good move up as far as ride and the ability to get more days on the ocean . Any feed back is helpfull

·
Registered
14,317 Posts
Ask Skip, "27 sailfish" on the board. He has one and has fished offshore many times for sharks....................Gary

·
Registered
575 Posts
Your like my son...ask a question he already knows the answer to, just wants to hear he is correct. Whaler? Grady? I have a Whaler...love it, best boat I have ever owned (7 to date) and only the unenjoyable weather keeps me off the water. Grady...easy...about as sea-worthy of a boat built...period. I doubt the boat will get you more days on the water...your desire to go out on days when others decide it is too snooty will put you out more.

·
Premium Member
26,248 Posts
I've ran a Grady 27 sailfish ( hence TF name ) for 14 seasons. She does well out in the ocean - I've been out 75 miles. Rides good for a 27 footer and if it gets real snotty - 12 knots she'll plow through anything. Hit the wipers on and cuss the weatherman.

Only big complaint - if you plan to install a fighting chair , floor needs to be reinforced with a 1/4 '' thick aluminum sheet. Not a tough job - floor is secured with SS screws.

The 272 was designed for two strokes. Four strokes add some weight - one reason the 28 came out.

If you are near Annapolis - I plan on fishing next week.
You are welcome to go - spend all day on the boat - looking her over.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks folks for the info the boat that I am looking at does have 4 strokes is that a problem? I love my whaler dont get me just thought a bigger boat and cabin and curtians would be alot dryer.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I ran 1200 hours offshore in a 23 Grady; with its clean deck and 9'3" beam its bigger than a lot of 24-25 foot boats. I moved up to a Grady 282 in 2007. We have been 95 miles out of Chinco and routeenly run 65 to 80 miles outa OC. I can honstly say I don't think the 282 gave us anymore days than the 232, but we are a lot more comfortable. When the wind hits 20kts and the seas hit 5 feet we don't go, general rule. However, we been out there plenty of times when conditions exceed those numbers. As Skip says, pull the speed back to 12kts, crank on the Auto Pilot and settel in for a long ride home.
If you are going to fish that boat offshore much, get your crew a couple bean bags .... they will thank your for it! I have one seat open on a Tile Fish charter 13 May if you are up for it. Check out our Web Site.

·
Registered
169 Posts
GW

I would consider any move from a Whaler to a Grady an upgrade...:hysterical: But seriously i think youll be amazed at how well a 27 GW Sailfish will handle especially compared to any 24ft boat . As soon as i hit the Lotto - I will be placing my order for a new 282 ..until then ill stick with my 232 ... cant go ever wrong with a Grady !

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks everyone hope sea trial her this weekend .Skip is there a problem with having 4 strokes on the 272?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Grady-White = Tough as nails. I'd be more interested in the shape of the engines. You'll definitely need to replace them before the boat.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Take a good look at how it site in the water with the four strokes on it. Are the skuppers under water? Is the cockpit going to drain? I knew a guy who put twin honda 200's on an old offshore 24. It took longer than normal to drain the cockpit when we got lots of water in it fishing offshore.

·
Premium Member
26,248 Posts
Kt5716 - Here's what I was told. The four strokes weigh more then two strokes. With twins - that weight is doubled.

On the Grady 272 - the motors are on a bracket. Worse place to add extra weight on a boat.

Grady solved the problem by extending the running bottom on the 282. This provided extra buoyancy for the heavier four stroke motors.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have the Grady and have repowered with 4 stroke yam 225s boat sits a little lower in water than the 200 2 stroke it original came with. still an awesome boat and better fuel economy with the 4 strokes

1 - 16 of 16 Posts