Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to pass on a few pictures and comments about a major upgrade to my 1997 Grady White 272. In August 2013, I made a excision to re-power and upgrade my Grady. It's a great boat that I do constant maintenance too, but the original Yamaha 225's, though still running, were way past their life. I wanted dependability of new engines, and no more two cycle issues. My mechanic, Ed Miller, told me the new F200's were lighter by 100lbs each than Yamaha 6 cylinder version, and could mount on the same centers as my original engines. I took the bate and handed him the boat. Ed replaced the rigging, new digital instruments and throttles, news hyd steering ram, and rebuilt the helm pump. We then tested the engines with a three blade and a four blade prop and decided the four blade was a better choice overall. The new engines are supper quiet, and at 3700 rpm, about 22 knots, the sip abut 13 gal per w/ 1.9 mpg. Thats a fuel savings of almost 30 % over my old engines. Ed did a fantastic job as always and his price equalled or beat the competition. I've used Ed for 10 years..., best on the Bay.

In addition, I had all new canvas installed by Canvas Connection, which after a few modifications, did a great job.

But the best modification to date on the boat was a company called Sureshade that I noticed at a boat show. For years, I have tried to find a shade solution for my Grady's deck that didn't involve bimini supports or configurations. From the pictures, you can see I found the ultimate solution. The company customs makes these arrangements for many boats including new Grady's . I worked with them and after sending them the measurements, I received at 8 foot long wooden create at our marina. The installation was quite a job, due to the tolerances and alignment of the two rams. The company was great to work with on issues I had, but my son and I spent two long and hot days installing the rig. I'll be glad to fill anyone in on the challenges. But aft completion, this is one sweet setup. It;s incredibly well made and strong, and you can crank it out to any length you like to provide deck shade while fishing, or rain protection. I have had the shade fully extended and on plane.., no problem. But be advised.., this rig is expensive. As I remember around $2200, but I might be off a little. Still the best money I have ever spend on the boat.

Finally just finished upgrading my GPS to a 7608 with a B175 CHIRP xducer I'll have installed in a week by BOE Marine.

Hope this helps some of you looking at upgrading your fishing machine.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Good info. Glad the 200s run great, and with good fuel efficiency to boot. I would have thought you'd be a bit underpowered, but sounds like a nice setup.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the comment. As I said, I had 225's but with the less weight and the different props for the F200's, I don't feel underpowered at all. Ed also told me that Grady, like others, uses the same HP across several size models to keep cost down. For example. the original Grady White 330 had 225's ,as well as the Grady Marlin 30. I will admit the four blade have less bight when throttling up, but they are quieter trolling, and love the fuel economy at cruise. At FT, the speed didn't seem much different between the three to four blade props. But I'll see if I can find my original test numbers.

·
Premium Member
26,257 Posts
I have same boat with 200 HPDI - had 200 Mercs originally , never felt under powered.

That sun shade is cool .

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have same boat with 200 HPDI - had 200 Mercs originally , never felt under powered.

That sun shade is cool .
Ok, agreed, that shade is fantastic man! What a clever solution. I'm going to see if I can rig that on my boat. Thanks for sharing the idea!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.