Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nephew and I tried for Cobia in kayaks off Grandview, just shy of Bluefish Rock from 9 am to 3:30. No cobia today, just one small sandbar shark, all the small croaker you could want and some small roundhead. Saw something feeding off in the distance that was making waves and whitecaps that covered an area probably 50 ft long or more but couldn't tell what it was. It was pretty cool to see. It was a great day even when we hit a serious storm coming back in and got soaked. It was actually kind of refreshing after the hot day, but the wind and waves were nasty! It did remind me of how the bay can change from gorgeous to nasty in just a few minutes time. I have to comment on the pleasant experiences that we had with all boaters in that area today. Every one that passed us slowed down to avoid making a wake for us even though they were a pretty good distance away and three boats came over to check to see that we were OK as we were paddling back in the storm and rough waters. We really appreciated that!

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
"Saw something feeding off in the distance that was making waves and whitecaps that covered an area probably 50 ft long or more but couldn't tell what it was."

I wonder if that could have been a mythical school of bluefish? They were catching some on the coast and in Rudee earlier in the season. It could be that a school or two has moved into the bay. That would be cool. I can remember in the 80's seeing them moving between 1/4 mile and a few miles off Chic's Beach.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Thanks for report!
I have heard some reports on the radio of some big blues , but so far I have only found very small groups of 9-11" blues.
Heard of huge school of reds- across the bay-- would be nice if the crossed over!

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Could have been rays feeding near the surface. They are known to stir things up. Thanks for the report. Good luck with the brown clown.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Having caught many 50 to 70+ lb Cobia locally over the years, I'd say that if someone was to hook up with one that size while in a Yak they are going to be in for the ride of their life. Good Luck Guys!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Having caught many 50 to 70+ lb Cobia locally over the years, I'd say that if someone was to hook up with one that size while in a Yak they are going to be in for the ride of their life. Good Luck Guys!
I'm sure it is going to be one heck of a ride if we hook one that large as well. I would settle for a 40 incher but would gladly take a Chesapeake sleigh ride from a 50 pounder!

After watching a few Youtube videos of feeding bluefish, I think that has to be what we saw. In hindsight, I wish we would have tried to get out to them to cast our bucktails. Lessoned learned for next time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.