Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a pond by the house that I grew up fishing on and has always been productive. All of a sudden this pond has exploded with thick algae. I guess someone brought it in with them, no major ecological changes in the area. I was wondering if anyone knew if a few grass carp introduced might resolve the problem, or would shad do better?, and where might I be able to get a stock of them. Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
117 Posts
Your best bet is either herbicides or triploid grass carp. To get the carp, you must get a permit through the VDGIF. Their website also gives of list of places you can purchase the carp after you have the permit.
http://www.dgif.state.va.us/fishing/Pond_Management/other_info.html

·
Registered
887 Posts
There are aquatic herbicides you can use. One popular brand is called Rodeo. Shad would probably not work. Asian grass carp have been used to control aquatic plants with good success. Birds probably introduced the plants into the pond. My brother put some Asian Carp in one of the lakes he has stripers in. The problem is you need so many per acre for it to work. I would go with the chemical route. I have heard of using copper sulfate or atrozene. This may be illegal and can kill the fish if you overdose. -Kepone

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ive got a 5 acre pond that we've been fighting grass in for years. Tried draining the pond down about 1/2 way in the winter to freeze the grass. No difference. We tried grass carp with the guidance of the VDGIF. No difference. We tried broadcasting liquid fertilizer to cloud the water to kill the grass (they said our water was too clear?). No difference. We tried some funky spray on weed killer. Waste of time. Tried plowing it out. No good. At one point, our 5 acre pond was 75% covered with about 5 different types of lilly pads, grasses.

Now, we broadcast a granular weed-killer for ponds about 3-4 times during the summer. Seems to have the most effect out of anything we've tried. Acually kills it, and the fish arent floating. there acually biting pretty good[grin]. Its called Navagate and can be found at Southern States. Now only about 18% of the pond is affected. [smile] Good luck -Jake

1 - 4 of 4 Posts