Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about putting out some feeders and am considering the "gravity type" as they are pretty much maintenance free (just fill with corn and you are done. no batteries to change or recharge). My question is, does anyone use a gravity type feeder? If so how well does it work/do you recommend? Looked at several different styles on the web. Have even heard of homemade gravity feeders but havent been able to find schematics. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Some friends that hunt in the mountains of N.C. have mentioned using a long section of 6 - 10" PVC pipe. My understanding is that its used on a downslope with a rock @ the bottom allowing for some of the corn to fall out.

[excited]

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
GET A 55 GALLON DRUM. CUT HORIZONTAL HOLES IN IT ABOUT 1"X10" IN SEVERAL LOCATIONS AT/NEAR BASE. BUT DON'T CUT THE BOTTOM SECTION OFF, BENT THAT IN ON A 30* ANGLE TO ACT AS A SHOOT FOR TH ECORN TO FLOW OUT OF. FILL WITH CORN TO TOP, PUT ON LID OR MAKE LID......YOU COULD EVEN MAKE A "LID" OUT OF A SECTION OF NYLON WATERPROOF TARP AND USE RUBBER INNER TUBE, BUNJI OR STRETCH CORD TO HOLD IT DOWN, BUT THAT IS MORE SUSSEPTABLE TO CRITTERS.

WORKS GREAT AS LONG AS YOU DON'T HUNT NEAR BEARS.

tHE LARGE DIAMETER PVC WORKS WELL TO. BUT DOESN'T HOLD AS MUCH CORN, ....IE YOU'LL NEED TO COME BACK MORE OFTEN LEAVING MORE SCENT IN/AROUND LOCATION.

·
Registered
45 Posts
built 2 feeders out of pvc last year that held 25lbs apiece. when they were getting hit hard, the corn only lasted 2 or 3 days. even hunting every weekend i couldnt keep them full. switched to tripod with a timer and it has worked out great so far.

·
Registered
84 Posts
need to try the barrel trick...the pvc ones i make dont hold near enough corn. I want to drop 200-300 pounds and let it cook for awhile. The barrel sounds about right

·
Registered
621 Posts
Alright......I'll be the one to say that I dont understand how the corn either falls out of or is eaten from the 55gal drum?

I agree that the pvc does not hold enough.

Ideally you would attach the pvc elbow with the cut out section for feeding to the bottom of a 55gal drum.

You figure it needs a motor aggitator or to be able to "flow" into a feeding section via gravity.

Mark

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
[Q]MarkTakacs originally wrote:
Alright......I'll be the one to say that I dont understand how the corn either falls out of or is eaten from the 55gal drum?

I agree that the pvc does not hold enough.

Ideally you would attach the pvc elbow with the cut out section for feeding to the bottom of a 55gal drum.

You figure it needs a motor aggitator or to be able to "flow" into a feeding section via gravity.

Mark
[/Q]

Mark, when you fill it up corn will flow out of the small slits(cuts) at the base, however only a few pounds will flow out at a time but as the deer and other critters eat it the downward pressure from the reamining corn in the barrel will flow out of the hole again.................just like the hanging bird feeders with the gaps at the bottom as the seed is eaten more falls down form the main holding area( barrel) and becomes accessable.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Mark, they have that exact model for sale.......PVC tube runs down from a 55 gl drum, but it's a tri-pod style so you would need to build/bolt it up (if you were makin your own) and then need a ladder or be able to back your truck up to it to fill it The best thing would be a pulley systems on a heavy limb and hang it a few feet off the ground, then just cleat off the rope or use a timber hitch on the tree to hold rope. Here's one on Ebay that is very similar in style but boxed rather than a drum.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3691082169&category=52504

There are all kinds of fun way to feed deer. Ain't being a ******* fun[excited]

·
Registered
621 Posts
OK, You bang the top edge of the cuts inward to create a feeding tray area.......might you also then want to drill/shoot some hole on the bottom to allow drainage as these banged in areas might take in some rain?

Mark

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies guys. As always, you can count on the TFer's to come through with great info. Paul

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
[Q]MarkTakacs originally wrote:
OK, You bang the top edge of the cuts inward to create a feeding tray area.......might you also then want to drill/shoot some hole on the bottom to allow drainage as these banged in areas might take in some rain?

Mark
[/Q]

NOPE, it'll be fine. Whatever moisture get's in be it from snow or rain is not a porblem becasue the first pieces to get wet are the first pieces eaten and no mold will grow and the rest of the corn in the drum is covered and dry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts