Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - I support Tidal
4,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to recall Brother Tom Hughes was sitting next to me at the time. Anyway Marty was using photos of the SF fishing the CCNPP to tout the winter fishery. It wasn't too long after that SF showed up on the message board. His bait of choice was the 7" BA and his deep jigging technique made use of 10# Fireline, which was still kind of new stuff back then. He called it Force Fishing and after things got totally out of hand, Wild Bill suggested we use the term LTJ in order not to make any sparks that could lead to another Flame war.
The Graybeard has a memory like an elephant, and that's a complement John. This thread is about Peter T. Dressler..please read on.

It appears there is some question to how and where did the 'Superfish' come about...he's my take.

"The Rest of the Story"

During the late fall and early winter of 1998 Marty Gary and I would meet during seminars given by him, for the DNR, or ones that I presented at various locations. Marty knew my fondness of Bass Assassins Lures. He would say, "Tom you've got to meet Pete Dressler, he's the only angler I know that likes Bass Assassin Lures like you do."

In February of 1999 I received a call from another WWA board member, Peter VonMehren (aka PetervM), who asked me to go fishing with him and Pete Dressler. He said they planned to fish the Calvert Cliff Nuclear Power Plant discharge, but it was too windy and wanted to know if it was possible to fish the discharges on the Patapsco River. Pete Dressler wanted to meet me and this would be a good time. I said, "Sure we can fish them so lets meet at the Boston Street ramp at 11:00 am." Pete Dressler and Peter VonMehren arrived on time, I met Pete Dressler, launched his 20' Grady White and enjoyed a great day of catching. Pete Dressler returned the favor on March 3, 1999 as the same crew fished the CCNP discharge.

Thread - Author: Tom Hughes, Topic: Striped Bass Fishing at Calvert Cliffs--REPORT (fished 03-05-99). After posting this report Pete Dressler joined the WorldWideAngler message board, aka Peter T. Dressler. His first post was on the Topic above on March 11, 1999, 12:42PM.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Self Proclaimed Superfish'

Thread - Author: Dwayne - Topic: Anyone fishing, posted March 06, 1999 07:47 PM
Reply - Author: Peter T. Dressler, posted March 11, 1999 at 01:40 PM

Hello Fellow Anglers,

"I am the "Superfish" and am the "Badest" guy on the Bay." ......and so on and so on.

And that's the rest of the story......................................................

There are many different opinions of Mr. Peter T. Dressler. Mine stands as such.

Many anglers are now catching fish, that might not be without Peter T. Dressler's help. He shared his hard earned knowledge with others for the sure love of fishing.

Thank you Peter T. Dressler for all you have given, and the time we spent togather fishing. Your kindness will live on and the 7" Bass Assassin is what it is becauce of you.

Tight Lines,

Capt. Tom Hughes
Light Tackle & Fly Fishing Guide
Booking Susquehanna Flats Trips
PS My computer both old and new are giving me trouble and I'll be off line probable until Monday (no longer I hope).

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Thanks, Tom...

...I remember a dynamic individual who was able to impart his enthusiam through words and actions that most of us only dream of. Though he used hyperbole in his writings he lived LARGE. He could talk the talk AND walk the walk. Sure he had some bravado, but it wasn't a false bravado. He backed it up with production of some of the finest fish caught in the bay. He could fish with you side by side, using the same equipment on the same tide, in the same boat, over the same piece of structure......and HUMBLE you by the fish he caught....yet would impart to you his technique so that YOU could reproduce his results.

He is person whom I continue to admire and look back fondly upon after all these years. His absence is understandable.....but his presence on this board remains....in both spirit and in the techniques used by today's fishermen that he was all too glad to pass on.

He wasn't the only pioneer on this board, but he was one of the most formidable. He was given NO QUARTER and granted none to his detractors.....and the battle led to the demise of them all.

We, who follow, should learn the lessons of promoting harmony rather than discord. Discord is to the detriment of us all. That doesn't mean that we cannot debate or disagree....but we should not foment hate. There's no good outcome for anyone in it and nothing productive to come from it.

End of story.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
6,372 Posts
Tom also in 1999 I remember Launching the Grady and Headed to Hoopers Bridge where his semenar started. Cast after cast a fish on each time.Then he'd go over the lures movement on the Bottom w/several retrieve technics each of which caught a fish.I was hooked by the Master.I miss him AND his sometimes outlandish posts.

Remember The "Fray on the Bay"???:D Coversely I miss Good Old Capt Brady and his many informative posts.Too bad looking back that they couldn't get along.There sure is room for them here then and Now.
Tom thanks always nice to remember the good memories.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
We, who follow should learn the lessons of promoting harmony rather than discord. Discord is to the detriment of us all. That doesn't mean that we cannot debate or disagree....but we should not foment hate. There's no good outcome for anyone in it and nothing productive to come from it.

Sanity-

That is a great statement and should be read often by participants of fishing forums.

I am convinced there are a few who never learned how to discuss and debate in a civil manner. They take each discussion as a direct personal affront and attack as if they are a wounded animal. It is a shame because it causes some mighty good people not to post. None of the guys I fish with often will post here. They lurk only. They are great guys but do not want to subject themselves to personal attacks.

·
Registered
424 Posts
HillBilly Boater - Jack, you really started something with your thread. The thread(s) has been reflective, informative, constructive and inspiring. Wish some of the posts could contain at least one or two of these elements.

jack

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Oh... vertical jigging for stripers with leadheads and no stretch line was invented in MD in 1998, and its difficult to master. Got it. Hey, I have this bridge.....

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
Interesting read,so where is? or what happened to Mr Pete Dressler?definitely someone I would love to meet and fish with.

I believe it was Uncle Phil who explained to me the term force fishing and where it came from in a PM.
Thanks for the post Capt. Tom

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I too have wondered where and how Superfish is. His posts were fun to read. Capt Dressler also fished alongside another great fisherman Don Evans. I fished with them both and one of my better days was spent fishing with Wild Bill, Superfish and Don Evans.
Both of them Don And Superfish sure could use the Assassins. Learned a lot from them.
I like Assassins.
Yes Where is Pete Dressler?
Les

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Tom, Thanks for the informative post. Superfish was before my day on the board, but the legend lives on in the way I fish today. I had the pleasure of meeting him last year at a seminar that Pete and Capt Skip gave and I believe Pete is still in touch with him. Maybe we can get Pete to post an update.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
There is only ONE SUPERFISH....

This is something I posted on the VA board when we made the changeover to this forum. I did it in response to the levels that we were assigned based on the number of posts that we had made. I had trouble with the fact that my designation was going to be a "superfish". I hope it sits well with you boys. To me, it is one of the finest examples of the man and his STYLE!

......And his name was Pete Dressler. The new board has new designations for posting levels. To me, they can stop at "BIG FISH".....because there was one and only one Superfish, Pete Dressler. He was the charismatic driving force of these boards in the early days....the WWA days, The Chesapeake Angler days.

He was not the originator of Force Fishing or LTJ for those politically correct folks today, but he promoted the hell out of it and showed everybody the POWER of FORCE fishing.

He was a man who could also "turn a phrase". His prose was memorable. An example of which will hopefully appear below. Wherever you are, Pete......there is only ONE SUPERFISH!!

"Guys,

A long time ago I used to travel a lot to make a livin' and on one of these trips I visited LA As is always the case, I used my early morning free time to go fishing (before the office opened), this time at the Santa Monica pier for an early shot at some fish hanging around the docks. I hit that place before sunrise, fished several hours and had nothing except a couple of lonely trash fish.

Along comes this big black lady with a little white hat, wearing sneakers turned flat from the weight of her body, with a face of a faded movie star. She was pulling an old grocery cart with an attached golf bag that housed two ancient fishing rods, a huge umbrella and some other paraphenalia. She stopped right in front of me, waved a little hello and sat down on a bench, placed there for the public.

"Catch much?", she asked, "Nothing much!", I replied. "How about movin' and give a lady a chance?", she said, flashing this incredible smile. Sensing her friendliness, I asked, "What will you give me?". "What do you want?", she replied. I smiled and said, "A kiss?". With that she got up and kissed my cheek and we became instant friends, me in my suit pants, open shirt and tie, and that lady in her time worn dress.

She pulled out the stouter of the rods, attached a treble hook and weight and dangled it into the water, snatching the hook against the pilings trying to grab a cluster of mussels that covered the structure. Once hooked, she pulled and pulled at the mussels until she freed a cluster larger than a fishing cap. Now came out the second and somewhat smaller rod to which she attached a portion of the mussels about the size of a large fist. To this she tied in a small length of leader with a tiny hook of about the size used in fishing salmon eggs. This was baited with a single small bi-valve and lowered carefully about ten feet below the water.

I watched the rod tip as the line moved ever so slightly. My friend began reeling vigorously, bringing up 2 beautiful 2 lb. sand perch. I stood up and applauded at what was certainly a wonderful happening and she acknowledged my excitement by a little laugh and a smile. And so it went for about an hour during which she caught at least a dozen fish with her special cluster trick. Seems that the fish had learned to avoid a baited hook but not one fished among the mussels.

My watch told me it was time to leave for the office. "I'll never forget this day!", I said as I prepared to go. "You mean the kiss....or the fishin'?", she asked. "Both!", I replied, "both were quite wonderful, but then I've had kisses before but never seen fishin' like that!"

And true to my word, I still remember that wonderful lady and her mussel cluster trick as I sit here on a snowy day and replay the good times of my life.

Superfish, who has shared a moment with the truely great ones. January 27, 2000."

·
Registered
279 Posts
nice stories

ya bring atear to da eye of da old man.thanks guys for sharing.when an old wise preacher,friend of mine was asked about the best way to relate to others in a christian way he said Just be kind to one another. kind of reminds me on some of these posts. Dave

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
back in wwa days and the early days around here I used to come home from work and check the boards just to see if superfish had a new post,and I learned alot from his readings and his web site, there were others like big chief that were just as good at posting,but in time the post became less and less till they were gone,then others filled those shoes not in the same way but still looked forward to there post like thill who's back a little now,between walleye pete and wild bill these are the guys I look for you know they will be good bill's pictures are the best,yeah when I see a post from wild bill now I kinda get that same feeling:)sanity your posts are great reading also don't see you over much but I catch you on the VA board...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Pete Dressler,

For those who want to know...Pete is OK....he's fishing for other things...and doing well. All of us who approach our senior years will see our catching days decrease but the passion will live on.......Pete sure wrote a great story....I heard them all over and over....some many of you will never get the privilage of hearing....His life would make a great book...He popped the cork a little but always remained in a great mood (I drove the boat) ...He opened bay fishing to me...and I appreciated it. Those who he invited fishing should give him a call and invite him.....time for us to payback a friend in need.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Great post Capt T. I remember his posts well (and many others from the WWA days). I was mainly a lerker back then (I cant even remember my secret code name). But I definatley learned alot and taught many of my friends how to force fish. Heck I still havent fished the rips, the patapsco or cbbt. Doesnt matter, those techniques have proven all over the bay and oceanside from here to NC wherever Ive fished for many different species. Many thanks old man and your brothers from the past.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
never had the pleasure ofmfeeshiing with sf, but did LOVE to read his posts. he'd get me laffing so hard i'd almost s### my panties! hope he is doing well.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I moved to Maryland in 97 and found WWA soon after. I always read the posts from Superfish, thill, Dr Bee, Rickster etc. One day I'm out on the bay off of Kent Island trying to catch some Spanish when this Grady White with lots of rods pulls up next to us and starts yelling something. I immediately say sorry and go back to fishing. He keeps yelling something I don’t understand because he' too far away. As he gets closer I realize he's not yelling at us. He's telling us how to catch the fish. I realize who it is and listen to what he has to say. I was in the presence of the teacher, and I listened, and I caught fish.

Thanks Pete

That was a good lesson

Thanks Pete

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Ah yes, Superfish- who loved opera and The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam

Here's an example of a fishing post from Pete. Might inspire a few folks for next summer.

Superfish on Floundering Around.

I use a six foot heavy action rod with a trigger handle of about ten
inches. The rod is normal in that it is fairly limber rather than more in
the nature of a "stick" type usually associated with striper trolling and
weights of up to 20 ounces. Ideally, the rod should be stiff but thin and
have a long handle for the proper leverage in bringing in a fish.

While most conventional reels work, my favorite is an Abu Garcia
#5500, costing about $60, filled with 20 pound test ( or stronger)
fireline. The reel is tough enough to handle the 10 ounces of lead ( and
sometimes more) and the constant wear and tear of bring fish in over
the transom day in and day out.

The best bait for flounder is either a large bull minnow and/or some kind
of strip bait. Long squid strips( 7 to 10 inches long 1/2 inch wide) work
well but squid of this size are hard to find. Flounder belly of is easier to
get and works just as well, both the white side and the dark. Problem
here is cutting the strips thin enough to flutter while being trolled ( the
dark side is twice as thick as the white). Also note that only legal size
flounder should be used for bait and one is required to keep the carcass
from which the strips have been cut ( if checked by the DNR).

Best rig by far is the simple one; hook with nothing else. I use a #1/0
short shank hook with three ft. of leader comming off a three way
swivel 8 inches above the weight. Leader material of thirty to fifty
pounds does well because flounder are not leader shy and the heaver
pound test materials keep tangles to a minimum.

Let's face it, flounder are some of the tastiest and most stupid fish in
the water; but they are very fast off the mark ( going after prey)and
once captured, they hate to let go of anything that they can eat.

Bad for them, good for us because it means that if we can find them,
we can catch 'em without too much trouble. The whole trick is in
locating the fish and my trolling techniques help you do that by allowing
you to cover more water in the same alloted time than if you were plain
drifting( unless the wind and tide are going in the same direction).

Once understood, my methods will allow anyone with a trolling motor to
become very good (if not expert)at catching flounder in a matter of
hours.

Superfish who loves flounder catchin'

Ah yes, the "right" speed is everything in flounder trolling and it can
vary with depth and tide strength. It's more a matter of "feel"; that is
to say after years of doing it right and/or wrong, one gets a feeling
when the weight with bait attached is moving along the bottom at a
speed that the flounder will find to their liking. I know when I have it
right without ever looking at a speedometer.

Having said that, let me offer the following suggestions:

1. I use 8 to 10 ounces of lead regardless of the water depth. I adjust
my trolling speed to keep the weight at about a 45 degree angle to the
boat. If less than that, movement is too slow and if more, the line is
too far from the boat and harder to manage. Of the two, it's better to
be back too far rather than too close. Speed does not seem to have
too much affect on the flounder's willingness to strike but it follows that
fishing 100 feet behind the boat makes it more difficult to feel a hit.

2. Use fireline 20 pound test or higher. It has no stretch and it's low
water resistance imparts an unbelievable "feel" to a flounder mouthing a
bait.(you actually sense the line getting heavier when a fish grabs the
bait and starts swimming along with your boat)

3. Use no more than a #1/0 hook, preferabley a short shank version.
The smaller hook allows the minnow to swim more naturally. When using
flounder belly, cut it in 5 to 7 inch strips perhaps 3/4 inch wide. When
using the dark side, shave it down so the strip is thinner than when first
filleted off the fish ( the dark side of the flounder is thicker and does
not flutter as well as the thinner white without this additional step).
And remember, you can only use flounder belly from a legal fish and the
carcass must be on board if the DNR checks your catch.

Once mastered, trolling for flounder will open up a whole new way of
looking at these fish and near empty coolers will be a thing of the past.

Superfish

End of post.....

And let us not forget the Handy Dandy Striper Candy, and the "hipper dipper, super duper, whopper stopper, flounder pounder"

1 - 20 of 27 Posts