Tidal Fish Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got to Breezy Point at 7:00am and there was no line and only about 12 empty trailers there.Did a quick check at the fish cleaning station for Capt.Bob's knives but no luck.Launched the boat with help from my crew- fellow Tfer's Vinny 83 (Vinny), Fishing-Rod (Rod) and Jdimig (Jay).We ran out on a slight NW chop and saw alot of boats between 78A and 78.Never a fan of crowds- I steered past the fleet and slowed to trolling speed just south of Parkers in 50 feet on the western edge.Water is clear- clear enough to tempt diving.The temp. is 50* - cold enough to forget diving :eek:.Got everything out by 8:00 and settled in an east/west pattern.Saw very little bait on the meter but about 8:30 a single chart. parachute 90 feet off the board got hit.Jay reeled in a nice 36 incher that hit in 65 feet.

Jay had bought a set of planer boards from me and wanted to learn how to use them.He learned real fast :thumbup:.We had a good hit on the WWB but the fish missed getting hooked.My guess is it hit the spoon- not uncommon for Rock to miss on a spoon.We went into 45 feet on the west side and saw a pocket of bait.A planer rod with a single white got hit and Rod reeled in a nice 35 incher.

We just had that one on ice when another planer rod got hit and Vinny reeled in a nice 37 incher that hit a red hose/parachute tandem.

We swung back around but could not find the bait again.The meter stayed blank for most of the day as we searched all the way to the CP marker.Saw a few fish caught but most on the VHF reported slow fishing.The weather was unreal for Nov. 30th - flat calm and warm.

The guys had their fish but mine was playing hide/seek and winning.The current started moving in and we started working our way back to the ramp.About 3:00 the WWB got hit and this time the hook stuck.I reeled in a nice 34 incher that hit the 4 oz chart. parachute.We were heading east about 2 miles below #78 when the meter lit up with baitfish and scattered Rock.The WWB got slammed and was loosing line but then the fish got loose :censored:.We reset it and then a planer rod got hit and Rod was soon fighting a nice one.The fish spit the hook about 100 feet from the boat :censored::censored:.Swung back to the bait and a tandem off the boards got hit.Jay showed us how to land a fish :pp and soon a fat 38 was C/R ed.

Vinny had us laughing as he took underwater video next to the boat with a new camera.Not sure how it turned out but it was fun to watch.
It was about 4:00 and most boats had gone home.My friend Alberto was still out and I called him to the fish.TFer Step Child joined in as well.We did figure eights over the bait and let four more go before it got dark.We had to use the spreader lights to reel in the rods and then radar to run back.Alberto followed us back to Breezy on a smooth as silk ride back.It was hard to believe that December was only 30 hours away as we put the boat on the trailer.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Skip; glad you finally found that bait. Here's a question for you. What's your opinion on why we are not seeing lots of bait balls this year (point no point area). With all the bait we saw in the upper bay this summer, where did they go. Nice fish are still being caught around Metapeake (some in the 40 inch range) so does that mean the alwifes are still up north? Has the migration south to Point Lookout area not yet begun? I can't believe we didn't see lots of working birds yesterday. With the high sun and flat water, I expected to see birds working everywhere. Do you think so many boats out on nice days (like yesterday) disperses the bait? I know you keep records on things like this from year to year. Just looking for your "best guess" on where all that bait went (or is it still here). Like you, once we find a "significant" bait ball, we pick up 3-4 fish, but then search "hard" for the next ball. Thanks, 5th (Marty)
P.S. Anyone else have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Marty - my guess is the bait is moving north.The guys fishing up near the bridge are reporting alot of bait on the meter.

I'm limited to where I can troll on the eastern shore side due to the crab pots set in 45-65 feet of water.I'm willing to bet there is some bait on that sharp edge.

Yesterday we did not see any Gannets or Pelicans but we did see nice size Menhadden on the meter and even snagged one about 11 inches long to confirm what the meter was showing.

The fishing boats normally do not disturb the bait since it is often 15-40 feet down this time of year.The big container ships will though and I often move out of the channel after a ship goes by for about 30 minutes or so.

The fish we caught were full of bait-we could feel 2-3 large Menhadden in their bellies and one even spit out 2 in the fish box.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
So if I read you correctly, if the bait is "moving north", that means it will at sometime reverse it's course and head back south where it returns to the ocean before coming back into the bay in the spring. So we should anticapate that the fishing will only get better in the Point Lookout area as the season continues. I know it's cooler this year than last; and I've been puzzled about the "poor" reports from the Northern Neck Virginia guys. Just wanted to confirm that I should keep the boat down south for the remaining rock season (Dec 31). Thanks Skip; 5th

·
Registered
686 Posts
I am gonna try to post that video tonight.

It looks good the rock almost swallows the camera in one vid:D

great day fishin

thanks again skip

vinny

·
Registered
14,252 Posts
It has been some good fishing weather late into November but don't get used to it. DECEMBER is a cast away. Skip......sorry the days are not long enough for you this time of year:clap::clap:.nice fish as always.....Gary

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Gaff's are illegal, no??
Wait, I know, thats not a gaff (wink wink).
You ought to take those pics down... I sure that they haven't aready been sent to DNR.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Gaff's are illegal, no??
You ought to take those pics down... I sure that they haven't aready been sent to DNR.
Its illegal to use a gaff to land a rock, after that its inquisition time:yes:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Gaff's are illegal, no??
MD. COMAR 08.02.15.12. 12 General Restrictions.. A. A person may not use a gaff or similar device to remove striped bass from the water. A person who catches striped bass shall remove it from the water only by hand or dip net.

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jonah - for the last F... ing time- those meat hooks are used AFTER the Rock has been landed with a net and only on fish going into the box.They are called "Handy Hooks" by Dexter and are great for handling big Rock in the boat.Helps avoid nasty cuts.

5th - the bait moves around alot this time of year.The water temps. are measured on the surface- not down deep.The water deeper is saltier and warmer.The colder fresh water rides on top of this.Somewhere around 15-40 feet down- it mixes and the bait seems to travel there.

The big Rock have swam down from the northern states and can travel 10-15 miles in a day.It is tough to keep up with them.

My own theory is the big Rock are coming down from the C+D canal.I can not prove it but that's what my gut tells me.

Give PLO about 2 weeks to get hot :thumbup: and enjoy the fact we are getting a shot at decent sized Rock fairly close to home right now.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
MD. COMAR 08.02.15.12. 12 General Restrictions.. A. A person may not use a gaff or similar device to remove striped bass from the water. A person who catches striped bass shall remove it from the water only by hand or dip net.
Does not this make boga type things illegal?

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
#23 Tony - lure of gaff, you decide :D.

Seriously - DNR put that no gaff rule in when our spring limit was a 36 incher or bigger.They did not want 35 inchers being gaffed, then measured and when found short-tossed back to die.

I've handed DNR my Rock on the handy hooks when they check my catch.Never had them say anything other then ask me where I buy them.

·
Registered
225 Posts
OK, let me join in, where can I buy a couple of them? I feel I can handle my already caught, already boxed, already dead rockfish anyway I want and I think that looks like a great way to handle my already caught, already boxed, already dead rockfish. Bill

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
For what it's worth, I saw more bait at Smith Point on Friday than I have all year. I saw alwives on the surface, gannets diving on them, and bait giving me false bottom readings on my meter.

Unforunately, the predators were not there.

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bill/others - I order the Handy hooks from Shark River mail order (SRMO).They have the best price I have found.Other fishing catalogs sell them but they are much higher.I carry 4 of them.Also great for tuna and other heavy fish.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
I can't see why there would be a problem using with the "handy hook" to handle the fish after it has been landed, just my $0.02.

Oh.. and in before the lock.

-JB

1 - 20 of 140 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.