Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Machodoc Rockfish Stew

Two rockfish filets ...each big enough to serve a person

1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes or two large vine ripened tomatoes sliced and chopped
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 good size yellow onion - sliced and chopped
1 cup corn ...or corn kernels cut from 2/3 fresh corn cobs
1 tsp of oregano ( use fresh oregano from herb garden if available)
2 tsp of butter
1/4 tsp salt & 1/4 tsp pepper - or salt and pepper to taste
Old Bay seasoning or Season All

1. Combine/mix up the tomatoes, celery, onion, and corn and oregano + salt and pepper in a heavy iron pot on top of stove.
2. Lay the rockfish filets intact on top of the veggies and sprinkle them lightly with Old bay or Season All. Place a small butter pat on top of each filet.
3. Turn the burner on high and watch the pot closely until the veggies just start to boil, ...just a few minutes, ...immediately cut the flame/burner back to low. Don't worry if there is not a lot of "juice" at first - when the veggies, etc., start to cook down, there will be plenty.
4. Cover tightly and just let everything steam on low for 40-45 minutes.

Enjoy!

You can substitute a cup of diced/cubed potatoes for the corn if corn is not available. This also works with white perch filets or a pound of crabmeat instead of rockfish. Another option is to add a few dashes of Tabasco sauce to the veggies if you like spicy!

This is a really easy and a good way to cook rockfish ...and delicious! You will be making it again if you try it the first time! If you really want to "put on the dog" for somebody, serve this with a dozen Oysters Rockefeller.

"Machodoc Rockfish Stew" is not in the cookbooks, and I am the originator, so enjoy!

Fshafly

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Sounds very good :yes:.
I'll trade you one from the TF recipe board.

Incredible Striper Cakes

These are incredible! Taste better than crab cakes! I modified this recipe from a local resturant's award winning crab cake recipe. My family has been enjoying it for over twenty years. Its great with any local catch. Measurements are approximate. I just estimate and ajust oil, crackers and seasoning to taste. Double or triple recipe as desired.​

1# fresh or frozen fish (I use striper mainly but sea bass, tile, flounder and tog in any combination will taste great too)

1 egg

tablespoon of Old Bay or eqivalent

1 sleeve of Ritz crackers

4 tablespoons olive oil​

Poach (Boil) the fish, drain and break up into lumps. Let cool.

In a separate bowl mix egg, oil and Old Bay.

Crush crackers by pushing two ends of sleeve towards each other, carful not to make a mess! Sleeve will open slightly to vent the air and the crackers turn to crumbs instantaneously if you do it right.

Mix all ingredients in a bowl.

Make cakes or small balls and then either broil or fry. If you pan or deep fry, dip in egg wash and then flour or panko crumb. If you broil, drizzle a little more olive oil or melted butter.​

·
Registered
231 Posts
Try fillets with Old Bay seasoning cooked in the frying pan in butter or margerine until white half way through. Flip and cook until white to the center, ( about 5 minutes total). Place fillets on broiler pan (and if you have any crab meat, pile crab meat on top of fillets). Add additional seasoning and broil for about 6 minutes. You will think you eating at a fancy restaurant.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Made the Machodoc stew Mon night with fish caught off the pier Sat and Sun - just outstanding! As good as advertised.
As for the fishing report, we got 8 between 18" and 24", on live spot and cut spot. Also an 18" flounder, a couple 20" blues, and misc smaller blues and puppy drum. A nice change-of-pace from the spot/croaker/ sm blues we catch Apr-Sept.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts