Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normaly fish the york and poquoson areas,because that is the area I live in. I love to fish light tackle with plastics and gulp baits. Fishing has gotten so bad I decided to go to my old stomping grounds around the HRBT yesterday. Caught lizard fish,ribbon fish,black willies,croaker rockfish,and flounder. Nothing keeper size. I have been fishing this area for over 45 years and have never seen fishing in these places so bad. It is so dishearting to see such a great fishery to become like it is now. Are any of youexperiencing the same thing. Seems like if you want to have some of the old days results,you have to concentrate on the CBBT and east ward now.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I normaly fish the york and poquoson areas,because that is the area I live in. I love to fish light tackle with plastics and gulp baits. Fishing has gotten so bad I decided to go to my old stomping grounds around the HRBT yesterday. Caught lizard fish,ribbon fish,black willies,croaker rockfish,and flounder. Nothing keeper size. I have been fishing this area for over 45 years and have never seen fishing in these places so bad. It is so dishearting to see such a great fishery to become like it is now. Are any of youexperiencing the same thing. Seems like if you want to have some of the old days results,you have to concentrate on the CBBT and east ward now.
I think it has a lot to do with the really cold winter had and lack of baitfish because of omega.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I agree with you college fund...fishing is tough right now. Even the CBBT is hit and miss.

Not sure what all the issues are but, certainly wiping out all the baitfish doesn't help.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Our creek off the North River is alive with bait; can't remember seeing so many glass minnows, and the crabbing off the dock has been better than in many years. Watched something tearing up schools of menhaden in the creek, and managed to catch a decent bluefish off a floating menhaden. However, even croaker are still hit and miss in the creek, and can't find them consistently in the river. Still haven't seen the first sea nettle for what that's worth.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well I'm having the same poor luck but I don't know if it is the fish or me. There is a boat on the dock over from me at Little Creek. Every weekend they come in with a 4-5 man limit of nice flounder. Makes me think whatever I've been doing for the past 50 years needs to be changed. I hear a lot of successful guys talk about slow trolling against the tide but find it a little hard to manage in my express fisherman.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think that fishing has gotten worse, because so many people are keeping every little fish they catch and not allowing them to grow and spawn. I went on the headboat out of Oregon Inlet last month and they encouraged people to keep everything they caught. Needless to say I will not go back.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
The only good fishing is in the Ocean some 50 miles off. Not very good for the small guy..

I agree with all of the above. much bait in Salt Ponds...no fish around however....

Dr. Bob Allen (over 50 years fishing in Ches Bay and Ocean) Hampton VA

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Years Past Fishing

The only good fishing is in the Ocean some 50 miles off. Not very good for the small guy..

I agree with all of the above. much bait in Salt Ponds...no fish around however....

Dr. Bob Allen (over 50 years fishing in Ches Bay and Ocean) Hampton VA
Dr Bob I'm sure you remember when people would try to sink their boat with grey trout averaging over 6lbs each,or maybe cruising down the beach and seeing bluefish piled up like a cord of firewood and left to rot. Coolers so full of flounder there was no way to put anymore in. Two of my personal favorites was the guy bragging about 25/30 cobia daily,and the guy that was on the panel that set the laws being caught with a couple of thousand lbs of illegal rockfish. There is a message here.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Hey,just thought I would let you know. Last time I went out The biggest flounder I've seen in a while flew over my head ...In the claws of a osprey.
Makes me wonder if I'm fishing to deep...? (and/or too late in the day)

( Yes, I agree, total numbers of most species of fish are way down. Especially this year.. it correlates to the health of the bay.
IMHO Omega Protein is the worst overall problem to the bay at this time)

Poor water quaility due to massive removal of menhaden which filter the bay and is forage for many other fish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts