Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WE caught two tagged seabass today , one with the usual orange tag the other with a green tag. Any of you taggers ever use green tags before? WHUT UP?

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
VIMS uses the green ones-

·
Registered
311 Posts
My daughter caught a striper with a green tag on it a couple of years ago out by the small boat channel and it was worth $125.00 (on her first cast in the schoolies) It was dark green and was sponsered by the Maryland Fisheries!

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Daggit, i assumed it was a VSWFT tag and got the tag # and length and trowed er back, it had a tag that started with the usual TD letters and then six numbers , i allready have the numder to the vswft so didnt even look at that. OH well ill talk to them about it and if not ill use your number Jamie, Thanks

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Talked to my freind thats been a Tagger since they started and he said its a VSWFT tag , that they used the green ones for Trigger fish and somebody prob ran out of orange ones and used a green one to tag the Seabass.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
I been tagging for 3 years and never been "issued" anything but the orange ones and tagged plenty of triggers along with all other 9 species, I have a new gun to try out & Gordy has a new style tag. I'll ask Claude next time I see him ( every Tuesday ) or ask Lewis who took his place last fall- interesteing none the less

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yeah,
I got a strip of green tags, too. I was tagging seabass from the seagull pier, caught a few triggers and spades and either Jon or Claude gave me the green ones. I almost used some the other day, when I only had 5 orange ones left. Tagged some specks and pups, ran out of orange, went home and e-mailed Lewis, and got a few strips of orange ones in a day or so.
T

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It will be intresting to see who and where it was tagged[2nd island cauhgt] . As a side note i caught 29 tagged Seabass on one trip on one wreck about ten years ago, about half were tagged by two of my friends that tag and all were tagged at that wreck, some a year prior and some as close as a weekend earlier. Another time i caught a tog at the Concrete Ships that a friend had tagged the day before.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Over the years i've used green, white and yellow tags aside from the standard orange ones. The different colors were originally introduced to use as a test on Spades because of the low tag return rate. It was thought that the Spades were eating the orange tags off of each other. They were also asked to be used on triggers for the same reason once they were added to the program. The white and yellow tags have been used in some fish that were double tagged with the tags being placed in different locations on the fish to experiment if they would retain better in the fish by trying different areas of thier body. This was mainly done with Specks and Flounder.

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
As stated, the green tags were used as a test in triggers sheeps and spades to see if the color was less attractive to the little nippers. Gus deployed a couple dozen green ones about 3 weeks ago. A few taggers still have some. Don't think much ever came from the color change study.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts