Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife and I went out to the new BPS today, it was jam packed. Cool looking store, pretty good inventory but I have to say the prices are better over at Greentop still. I had some gift cards to use so I bought a pair of rain bibs $39.99, look like the grundens, I though that was okay but the tackle and gear still seems much netter priced at Greentop which is were I think I will keep shopping.

just my 2cents!

·
Registered
382 Posts
keep your money with the folks who have helped you out over the years when BPS and Gander Mtn. weren't even considering our area....GREEN TOP!

BTW BPS donates to the Defenders of Wildlife which is the group trying to shut down the beaches to public access in Hatteras Island.....enviro-whackos.:yes:

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
146 Posts
You guys in Richmond are lucky as hell to have Greentop. They have everything you need and only sell quality stuff. The prices arent bad either,but I'm use to DC prices so I may be off there. BPS is ok, but I'l take Greentop any day, Gander Mounatain is not even close.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I go and look at fishing and gun stuff at BPS, then off to Greentop to buy. I will be going to Bps today though and buy some flannel shirts for Christmas presents and the warden (wife) wants to eat there too..
Sam

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, we ate there to. Calamari, a few drafts and some Mahi Sammys! They were good.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Depends on what you are looking for

If a fun museum like experience...BPS is the place to go. It is like walking through the pages of a sale flyer...Also, if you need any BPS products (some are really pretty good) great place to go. I enjoy walking through all BPS stores alot...

But ,if you need fly tying, lure making, etc. stuff...Greentop. Gear that you will use in our part of the world...Greentop....need advice, fishing info or help...Greentop. Good prices and even sales or clearance items...Greentop. They have an amazing inventory and rather than museum atmosphere...I would say warehouse type experience. Great place...I wish I lived in Richmond...I'd be broke!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Can I get directions to Greentop, I'm in Norfolk for the weekend, and will be driving north to DC on Tues? Do they carry Rouge rods? Thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Greentop gets my vote. I have been to BPS and their employees cant tell me what I need to know about the products that I want to purchase. The boys at GreenTop are fisherman and hunters and can tell you about all of their products.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm lucky enough to live about 10 minutes from both. Bad part, 2 hours from Lynnhaven (if pulling a boat). Anyway, I still go to Green top. BPS is cool to go to a couple times, but I know what I want and where it is in Green Top. Prices at GT are very competitive. The rumor around here is Gander Mountain did not sign and pay for there land lease for the next year and are going out of Business. Even bigger rumor, Green Top is looking at Buying Gander Mountains land, maybe redo the store??

Market price,
Green Top is located on Route 1. Here is there address. 10193 Washington Hwy
Glen Allen, VA 23059 Just mapquest it. If you want to, Gander Mountain (my opinion, waste of time) is right across the road and BPS is down the road on Lewistown Rd. After getting on Lewistown Rd. hang a right at the first stoplight. Just hang a left out of Green Top and you will be there in about 5 minutes.

Enjoy the fun going there. It is a neat place.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I like BPS...and I think BPS did a good job with this location of hiring people that know what they're talking about in regards to the local fishing areas. I listened to one of their salesman talk quite intelligently about fishing the James river to a customer.

I actually always found Greentop to be a little overpriced too. I'd consider both BPS & Greentop to be the same price-wise. If I want cheap lures I just go to Walmart, despite the limited selection...where else can you get $1.00 spinnerbaits?

Regardless, I like both stores but I lean toward BPS for fishing stuff. I'm not really the type to ask a sales rep for advice or help so Greentop doesn't really appeal to me in that aspect. If I was going to buy a firearm, I'd go to Greentop though. The one thing I also like about Greentop is that they carry lures from local lure makers. BPS is basically a huge selection of only the top vendors like Zoom, Strike King, Berkley, etc.

Odd man out is definitely Gander Mountain. I can't imagine that they are doing good business. Their store just feels too "sterile" when you walk in. I'd imagine that Gander will be out of business by mid 2009.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I live in Germantown Md and I make the drive to GreenTops !!! Their selection is top notch.

The BPS near GreenTops is no where near as good as the one up in Arundle Mills. But still, they only carry the most popular and name brand stuff. If you are serious about fishing, GreenTops is the place to go.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Green Top will be there long after BPS and Gander Mtn have lost their initial "APPEAL", in fact, one of them already has, one more to go!

Long Live Green Top!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't forget Surfside Bait & Tackle in Mechanicsville. It's a small shop with a lot of inventory, great prices and helpful employees. And they open early!
295 to 360W to 360 Business. Mechanicsville Shopping Center is on the right.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Trusting Store

I had a xmas gift to return, and they took it and gave me cash without a receipt...(the guy may have recognized me because I go in there a lot)...try to get that kind of service out of BPS...:clap:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts