Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What different kinds do you guys recommend and how might I set up a ground blind for bow hunting? When is it an advantage or a disadvantage. I have access to some private property where a tree stand may not be practical or even permitted.

·
Registered
14,247 Posts
Hunting on the ground is never an advantage. If you are elderly, handicapped and can't climb or there are no trees, that would be the only reason I can see to use one. They make many different kinds from cheap to expensive. There are some that you can shoot through and some that have scent shield. Look in the Cabella's catalog and see what fits you........Gary

·
Registered
526 Posts
natural or popup, a natural blind is where you used the foilage around you to conceal your movements and position. and a popup is much easier and portable.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
:yes:I love ground hunting , a whole lot more challenging then tree stands plus it allows you to get up close and personnel, we used to just find the right natural scenario and use that.......haybales in a field.........big trees in a corner of a field..If you got it that way, Definately a rush to whack one at about 6 yards from the ground, i have shot em as close as 6 feet on the ground:thumbup:

·
Registered
526 Posts
:yes:I love ground hunting , a whole lot more challenging then tree stands plus it allows you to get up close and personnel, we used to just find the right natural scenario and use that.......haybales in a field.........big trees in a corner of a field..If you got it that way, Definately a rush to whack one at about 6 yards from the ground, i have shot em as close as 6 feet on the ground:thumbup:
i agree i unforntately havent shot a deer.....ever.....but i have killed lots of turkeys, and predators, and insurgents:eek2: but ill get one here soon.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Definitely the way to go during muzzleloader or with a slug gun. You can move to suit the wind easier and don't have to lug a tree stand around.

I read in one of the hunting mags that you should still use natural vegetation to break up the outline of the ground blind.

Anyone had any luck with these new blinds that you lay back in on the ground?

·
Registered
634 Posts
I have had sucess with ground blinds hunting field edges durring the gun season. Took my nephew out last year and he shot his first, a doe. I do reccomend placing the blind a few feet in off the edge and add some tree branches for extra cover. especially if you just do a one day setup. Rick

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Ground blinds are great for those who are uncomfortable in tree stands, My wife uses one & it has room for a younger hunter as well, during bp you are required to display orange on all sides of the blind for safety. they definately add another dimension to hunting & a heater is possible on those bone chilling days when used with proper ventilation.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It's up to local ordinance in Virginia. Right now, only 2 counties require you to hunt from an elevated stand for muzzleloader.

·
Registered
742 Posts
If treestands are not allowed that is one thing, if you are saying that treestands will not realy work there build towers, we have tons of towers overlooking cutovers.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Personally I hunt from a treestand. (API) When I hunt with my grandson I hunt from a ground popup blind. Set up blind and pull out two folding chairs. He gets one and I get one. Real comfortable and cozy. Animals don't know you are there. I pick a thick area and cut a hole the size of my blind. Once blind is set up I have trouble seeing it myself from a distance. I have actually ask different people to see it they can see it and they haven't found one yet. Hunt the ground popups and you will not be unhappy.
LBubba

·
Registered
179 Posts
double bull baby!

I use both treestand and the double bull ground blind. There are sometimes when a tree is just not avail to use. The right ground blind makes all the difference in the world. I love my double bull. More expensive but worth the money. The main thing with deer is you have to brush it up if you want them close. Having a deer yards from you on the ground is a huge rush. If you take care of your scent and play the wind you will see deer and close. Turkeys don't care a lick if brushed or not. Can't beat it if taking a child along. Hate to sound like an infomercial but the double bull company knows their business. I use it for bow hunting and love it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts