Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your favorite groundhog rig. I've been shooting a Ruger Varminter in 22-250 for the last 20 years and have had great success with it. Freefloating the barrel, bedding the action and some trigger work really helped with accuracy. Using match bullets seated to the lands and neck sizing only it shoots 3/8" off the bags at 100. Ground hogs are ground meat out to 300.
So what is your favorite?
Mark

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Got two, sorry I can't pick one but I love them both equally.. Tikka master sporter in 22-250. Awesome stock and pinpoint accuracy. MAtch quality trigger and the barrel is floated so nice you can fit cardboard inbtween the barrel and stock all the way to the action. Second is a Remington VLS 26 inch bull barrelled .243 that shoots .4's all day and its completely stock except for some trigger work.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Factory 40 gr. Ballistic silver tips, but it shootts the cheapie winchester Varmint just as well. I gave up reloading for awhile just because of lack of time.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Ruger 22-45, 5" bull barrel, stock grip, iron sights and an extra mag. loaded with 10 Remington Golden Bullet HP 36 gr. 1280 fps custom loaded at walmart, get between the hog and the hole and protect your nut.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
For the garden varmits....I prefer to use my Desert Eagle 50 Cal........ony got 7 shots:rolleyes: but you should see what happens:eek:

Tony

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have two favorites:

Under 250yds- TC Encore Handgun 15inch, .308 Win, 125 Nosler Ballistic Tip. Trigger work. Fun shooting off the top of a back pack. With this rig I shot a double at 208yds.

Over 250yds- Ruger No.1, .220 Swift, 26” Heavy Barrel, Moyer trigger, forearm work, 55gr Sierra Blitz King Moly, I used to shoot 55gr NBT but the copper fouling made it seem the barrel was shot out. After a week of running the Outers Foul Out electro/chemical fouling removal tool to get the barrel clean, I switch to moly bullets and haven’t looked back. I get one hole groups except for that one flier after I get excited. But are still less than 5/8“.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I used to have a stock Savage 110 in .222 that would shoot well under an inch with no custom work at all. The .270 pre- 64 model 70 featherweight does it for now as my all-around and only centerfire rifle, but I've been considering either a good 22-250 or 6mm as a second choice just for chucks. What do you shooters out there recommend if you were in the market today for under $1000 or so plus glass? I'm kind of drawn to the Rem 700 VLS in 22-250, but a .243 might do double duty as a light deer rifle for my 10-year-old.
Mark

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
The VLS is a pretty awesome piece for the money. If you live in Md and wanna shoot mine before you buy you are more than welcome. Anyone up for a shoot at Hap Baker? I've got a bunch of toys to shoot and I'm always looking for some company.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I used to have a stock Savage 110 in .222 that would shoot well under an inch with no custom work at all. The .270 pre- 64 model 70 featherweight does it for now as my all-around and only centerfire rifle, but I've been considering either a good 22-250 or 6mm as a second choice just for chucks. What do you shooters out there recommend if you were in the market today for under $1000 or so plus glass? I'm kind of drawn to the Rem 700 VLS in 22-250, but a .243 might do double duty as a light deer rifle for my 10-year-old.
Mark
I thinking about the same thing for my son .243. I've been looking on gunbroker.com at the Weatherby Compact, comes with 2 stocks one with a 12 1/2" LOP and also has the full size stock as he grows. Another choice is the new Remington 700 "SPS" Buckmaster Edition "Young Bucks" Youth with a 12 3/8" LOP camo stock. Both guns have a 20" barrel.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
I have a Ruger Compact in .308 that's pretty sweet for a youth gun but I'd prolly opt for a .243 for a smaller hunter. The .308 in this little gun packs a little punch:wacko:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Groundhog Gun

Take a look at the Savages, they're getting rave reviews on the BR boards. I'm still a 22-250 fan. Very easy to load for and very accurate.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Check your email Russ. I'm just outside of Annapolis.

Anybody have any opininions on the T/C Encore rifle in 22-250?

Mark

PS: Just tok a look at the Savage Model 12 Long-Range Precision Varminter. Looks sweet. Might be the gun in 22-250.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts