Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got some groundhog issues and was wondering if there is a way to trap them? If I'm using a "have a heart" trap, what do I bait it with? Is there another trap that would be more effective?

One more thing, if I mistakenly trap a skunk.....how the heck do I take care of it without getting sprayed??

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just did some digging and found out that I should bait a box trap with carrots or potatoes. It would also help to "guide" the animal to the trap with logs or something.

If anyone has any other ideas or experiences, please share.....

Oh, still need to know how to remove a skunk....

·
Registered
33 Posts
First thing is make sure you have a state trapping license. If you don't want to use a box trap, get a double hinge koni-bear trap. This is the same one that most muskrat trappers use. Also you may consider using a box trap if you have a dog or cat that roams around. As far as the skunk issue, you probably will get sprayed. Good luck .....

·
Registered
471 Posts
Something we use to do on the farms we work that due to houses we wouldnt shot with high powered rifles would be to trap them with the koni bear traps. We would also flush the ground hog out and shot with a pistol, by closing all holes off except one and running water from a nurse tank into the single hole. That usually did the trick.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
I would just shoot as many as you can. But I prefer a larger round
than .17 or .22. I like to here them POP when you hit em.

Bert

·
Registered
471 Posts
My dad has shot them with the 17 and it turns their insides to jelly, I have never seen them explode, except from hollow point .308's and .243's.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses. Shooting isn't an option, except with a shot gun and some buck/turkey shot (there are houses too close for a safe rifle shot). That may be something I do if the trapping doesn't work (I just don't have time to lean against a tree in camo and wait....wait....wait...).

I've done some reading and they say that covering the trap with a tarp before the animal is trapped helps. It keeps them calmer and also provides protection against the spray (if it is a skunk). I think I'll try it.

Thanks for the info. I'll let y'all know how it goes.....

·
Registered
471 Posts
Yeah you better watch out for the skunks, we flooded one out of a ground hog hole one time and our black lab grabbed the skunk to kill it, and got sprayed in the process.

·
Registered
268 Posts
we shot them with 22s and we just look for them out the window and when we see them we make the 100 yd shot and hope we hit them or wait for next time off the proch with the scope

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So far I've caught one big opossum in the Havaheart trap. Smelly fellas that's for sure, but it ain't a skunk! I've got it baited with veggies and will hopefully have my Groundhog soon.

If the trap doesn't produce in the next few days I'm going to try flooding the den and shooting the varmin as he tries to escape. This would be my preferred method but my wife wants me to try trapping first.

I'll keep you all posted.....

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Crawl down after his but and come out with him in your teeth. I'll sit by the tree.

Feeshon [grin]

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I have had success with a beaver clamp trap. Just put it right on there hole and when they come out they are done. I mark them with surveyors tape (make sure no dogs or kids around). Never had luck with have a heart traps on ground hogs. My one smoke out attempt failed as well.

Oh yeah and as far as skunks go I would tie a rope to that trap just in case and hope you have a pond close by.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the encouragment and the suggestions. I like the road flare idea......as for the TNT - I thought I mentioned the den was in the barn where my well pump is housed - so although a great idea it would leave me withhout water.......I like the idea of the loooooooong rope in case a skunk shows up.......and I'm a little to big to crawl into the hole myself.....

Feeshon, I may need the services of your 870 to cover alternate exit routes - just don't shoot me.....

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
PD - here is how it would sound - Hunny, I got the ground hog but we don't have any water. You should have seen the roof fly across the river. It was really cool and we got a picture of it.

If I am to cover the alternate routes, then you are going to have to take that ground hog fur off your head and put some clothes on before you go into the hole. I have seen how you hunt varmints. I know, you are part Indian and all that.

Feeshon [grin]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts