Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't disclose exactly where we were, but we had close to 20 flushes on Friday. I will only say it was in Maryland...

We had about 6 different grouse flush, with 3 reflushes and 2 kills. We also had about 12 flushes from woodcock with 4 killed.

Here are some pics - this was the best wild bird hunt I have ever had and wanted to share it with you guys.

I usually hunt wild quail, but I have made some good friends who do some grouse hunting as well..and figured it couldn't hurt!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Well lets see.........grouse in MD.......east of Hagerstown.......not likely. So that doesn't leave a whole lot of space left.......I hope I did not give it away and everyone runs out to west to shoot the place up.[grin]

Do those dogs point or just flush?

Either way if you want to increase your shooting percentage I should be able to bring it up a bit[tongue]

Nice photos
Mark

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Brit is a very well trained and hard hunting steely eyed pointing dog. She's got a lot of experience from bird hunting in Maine. The GSP is still a pup really - she's about a year old - but is showing some good potential. She had 1 really solid point on a grouse this trip..the Brit (being more experienced) had a good number of really solid points.

I run a flushing lab, and I just bought my first pointing lab pup. I didn't run my 3 yr old flusher because it was pretty hot (highs in the 60's). She does best when the temps are below 50. I can't wait to see how much point my pointing pup has (she's 13 weeks)- she points the wing on a rod, and I just introduced her to birds yesterday. She likes 'em a lot, but hasn't pointed a live bird yet.

Yep, you're right - we're west of Hagerstown. I'll give you that much...!!![wink]

·
Registered
621 Posts
Years ago when I was younger (39 now) we would always find several coveys (sp.) with out dogs and manage to shoot a few and even flush some of the singles. These wild birds would always fly right into the deep woods......we would even bust a covey in the woods from time to time.......talk about a shocker.

No more..........dont know why (usual reasons i'm sure...farming, predators, etc.)
They are still around.....we see them in the spring more often but since we dont look for them that is probably why we dont see them in the fall when they are coveyed up.

We do have a lot of woodcock........some evenings they are everywhere, doing their flutter display. But I dont think they hang around long.

Mark

·
Registered
707 Posts
nice pics!

i don't think mentioning west of hagerstown really discloses much Mark! That is where some of the most expansive public land exists in MD - could take 10 years and still never find those spots!

mike

·
Registered
621 Posts
Mike,

Besides that fact I was joking on the side that most people are not going to run out to western MD much less for grouse, etc.
I know I wish it was not so far away or I would be out there....besides I have blackwater running threw my veins.

Mark

·
Registered
21 Posts
Fantastic! I have a 5mo DD and plan on taking her up to our place at Deep Creek soon and will run her on the 50,000+ acres of public land... Got some maps from DNR on recent clear cuts and plan on checking them out.

Fitz

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is basically how we got those birds. Another good bit of advice is to use Google Earth - you can actually spot a bunch of that new growth using that!

Good luck...& let us know if you get into anything!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts