Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This newbie is wondering if an underwrap should be made where the guide will be placed prior to mounting the guide or should the guide be placed directly onto the blank?

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
3,293 Posts
If you are using an underwrap, you wrap the underwrap then place the guide and then do the guide wrap. While underwraps can be used on any rod, they are usually used on the heavier saltwater rods. Underwraps are used for guarding the blank from the guide digging into the blank and damaging it as well as decoration. Most of these rods (that I've seen) use double footed guides.

Many rods don't use the underwraps because they add stiffiness and weight. Most of the spinning rods for Striper LTJ that I've seen mount the guide to the blank and just use a guide wrap. These are usually the single footed guides.

Just my humble opinion. Flatliner and Landing Crew have built more rods than me so they may have more insight.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks rhahn427: What you say makes sense. What confused me was I saw small/light rod that had the underwrap and then I watched one the videos on the "Mud Hole" web site that show the guide being mounted directly to the blank.

Thanks Again

SommerTime

·
3,293 Posts
The LTJ rods I make don't have underwraps .........

·
Registered
504 Posts
Underwraps are used on graphite rods to serve two purposes. One is artistic and the second is to protect the blank from flexing and abrasion between the blank and the guidefoot. When the blank flexes, even though the guidefoot moves withthe blank, it is not as flexable as said blank. With todays thin walled graphite blanks, it is my opinion based on my history that underwraps be used on singlefoot and doublefoot wraps.

All of my spinning rods have doublefoot guides for the first guide and then single foot from there to the top. Casting rods have the same configuration of single and double. Spiral wrapped rods have doublefoot turbo's.

Why they wrapped that rod and didn't use an underwrap is that (as mentioned) the added weight of the underwrap and the extra finish that goes along with it will make the blank faster or "less stiff". In some instances, this may be desired. By wrapping it without the underwrap, the rod keeps more of its design characteristics.

Rick, Did you buy that guys inventory on one of the other boards?

Kevin
NERBS MEMBER 2008
North East Rod Builders

·
3,293 Posts
No ....... was going to make an offer on the thread but haven't received a response ....... not interested anymore ......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts