Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gang,

Ellen and I will be in Islamorada 4/14-4/21, and I'm wanting to go fishing (imagine that). Does anyone have a guide they'd recommend for Tarpon/Shark?

Also, is it worth the hassle to bring the cast net, rods/reels, tackle (I know, there's a limit to what you can take on a plane...LOL), for the possibility of renting a boat/wade/bridge fishing?

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Check with World Wide Angler they have a slew of shallow water guides operating out of there,,,you can always ship tackle to where you are staying and then ship it home ( cheaper than going on the plane) Bridge fishing can be very good especially at Channel2 which is on the lower end of Islamorada check out www.boatlessfisherman.com find the channel 2 link on lower left side or find the Monroe county forum,,,some really nice fish caught there. there are wadeable flats around the area, just ask the guys there they will point you in the right directions,,lots of guys fish the flats near Annes Beach

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Al, I'm in Daytona to pick up wife whose flying in tonight. She can't drive with me, panic attacks, so she flies half way and I drive all the way to Keys. Why not drive down here ? I flew this morning from Montgomery County to Daytona in 10.5 hours. Too fast actually. But the hassle of driving gives me all the comforts of my own truck, brought everything but the kitchen sink with me. Eight poles ,buckets tackle boxes, cast net. Wife loves it, all she does is a small carry on, no hassles of checking everything.

Bobs resident genius of Keys. I'm renting a boat in Marathon for 10 days. If I hear of anything that Bob doesn;t cover I'll let you know.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
when you picking up your boat??

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Morning Bob, stuck in Daytona, can't sleep. Bike week, so loud,

Anyaway headed to Paradise in five hours and start fishing tommorow.

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brian - Thanks man... I look forward to hearing about your trip!

I thought about driving, then booked a flight... LOL. Memories of a 20 hour drive to Islamorada, stopping for gas only, peeing in a gatorade bottle, and all the other "stuff" that goes along with a college Spring Break trip, made me want to fly.

I'm thinking of shipping two rods in a tube, then packing a couple reels, a couple Plano boxes, and a cast net in my luggage should get me through.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Sometimes I drive, sometimes I fly. Either way you're going to need a cooler so when I fly I check in a 72qt igloo marine cooler on wheels, I think I bought it at West Marine. I pack that with a 7' - 3/8" cast net, air bubbler, tackle, etc, I wrap my reels in beach towles so they don't get banged up. I put it on the bathroom scale before I go to make sure I'm under the airline weight restriction. It works real well, plus if I have some fish to bring home I just pack them in soft side cooler inside the igloo with some ice in a ziplock and you're good to go.

Can't beat a guide but it's an expensive day. A boat rental is also good but costly for one or 2 guys. Another option to consider is there's a place up in Key Largo across the street from John Pennecamp State park where they'll rent canoes for about $50 per day, they trow in the roof pads and tie downs, that way you're mobile and can launch from anywere. I like the canoe as opposed to a yack because you can stand and pole on the bonefish flats and you can sneak around inside the mangrove creeks where no other boat can get to.

Bridge fishing is cheap alternative and a good way to learn what's going on down there, you can watch what other people are doing and most bridge fisherman are fairly friendly and willing to share info.

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Water Boy. I've got the soft sided cooler ready to roll... never thought of checking in a cooler.

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Capt. Frank - I appreciate the link, and will be sure to get in touch with him. I'm still trying to weasel another charter out of momma... if not, it'll be shore fishing for sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts