Tidal Fish Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

· Registered
605 Posts
I’ll take that Kentucky .45 and that baker tree stand if ya don’t mind.
What’s pyrodex?
LOL, thanks to.my HOMEMADE Baker style climber, I left a lot of forearm skin and both nipples smeared down a pine tree.

Had junkyard seatbelts for foot loops, no hand climber, I bear hugged the tree.

Was ALMOST high enough, maybe 15-17 feet.
Center bolt on seatbelt pulled thru, stand fell.
Leaving me a long way from ground.

Held tree tight as I could but started to.slide.

Shirt bunched up.around neck and face, tearaway forearms and nips cushioned my descent..

Still have the stand out in barn.
Made hand climber and folding seat.

Now it hangs in a place of honor, a monument to youthful stupidity.

· Registered
605 Posts
You’re thinking of the power belt. Didn’t shoot well in those Hawkins and tc rifles with that slow twist.

No, don't think Powerbelts we're around yet.
LOL, even have a box of HEAVY "Harvesters" I used on a moose hunt.

For inlines, my go to for deer has been Knight 260 gr all lead HP. Probably north of 100 deer taken with them, no failures or surprises.

Rarely recover them, but when I do, perfect expansion.
When Knight closed up, I bought a lifetime supply ( think they're making them again)

Natural material Wood Button Circle Metal

· Registered
260 Posts
I made my first from a kit in 78.
The Kentucky Rifle was my first. I had my Mom buy the kit from Monkey Wards will put a patched ball anywhere I want to 150yds ahead of 90gr pyrodex RS. The Kentucky Pistol also a kit from Monkey Wards same load out to 75yds.
The Traditions 58 flintlock hurls Modern Mini's dead nuts at 100yds ahead of 120gr 2f. The CVA Frontier Rifle was a kit I bought for my nephew to make while I was making the flintlock. It's an amazingly light and handy rifle. I forget what I last used in it. The others I made from kits that I ordered here and there. The last time I availed myself of late muzzleloader was 10 years ago. Work and various repair surgeries have had me tied up. I'm fairly as good to go as I get currently. I only hit the late season so I don't have to deal with the bugs on myself or the deer. I went out early bow season once. Deer was covered with fleas and ticks. I almost couldn't bring myself to touch it. I drug it out and doused it with bug repellent before I even gutted it!

Gun accessory Air gun Metal Wood Gun barrel

· Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I climbed a tree with one of those with a 30/30 on my back. I never loaded a rifle until I was in my stand and set. Lucky for me.
The strap broke about halfway up and my rifle fell to the ground. Maybe 12 feet. Went down and got it and fixed strap. Back up I went.
Didn’t see anything, because the whole ordeal was so loud.

about 9am, a couple of does were kicked up to me. Ten shots later, I saw a round hit a branch about 5 foot above the stunned deer. Aimed lowered and got that doe. I was a kid, wasn’t many deer like it is now. I was very proud

21 - 40 of 58 Posts