Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a local gun smith (DelMarVa) to perform some work on a shot gun barrel? I would be interested in having the barrel machined for the screw-in choke systems since it does not have them. Any recommendations on which ones to look at (Briley, etc)?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Rhino chokes in Georgia. I have had several guns done by them, great chokes and a good company to work with. I have their phone number at home. Let me know if you want it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know a guy in Boyce, VA (near Winchester). I know it is not local, but it would not be a big deal to ship the barrel to him then let him ship it back.

His contact info:

Custom Gunsmithing
11876 Lord Fairfax Highway
Boyce, VA 22620
540 837 2598

Ask for John Meyer

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone...

I have no problem shipping the barrel to someone, so I'm open to suggestions. Is there a brand of chokes (hunting gun strictly) that is recommended?

TMM, yes I would like the name and number if you have a chance, thanks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had a 30in Remington plain barrel cut to 26in and Briley tubes installed at Gander Mountain about 10yrs ago. I don' know if they still do it or not but they work good.

I had a guy in Ashland Va work one of the chokes to shoot 00 Buck, every one in a pie plate at 40yrd. So you might check with some in your local phone book to see whats available. The closest Gander Mountain is in Fredricksburg Va.

Good Luck
Bill

·
Registered
861 Posts
If you are going to use Briley chokes, I'd send the barrel to them - they're great people to deal with. I've got their extended, stainless steel chokes in all of my over/unders (12, 20, 28 & .410).

I don't want to bad mouth anybody, but I've never had any good luck with the gunsmith at Albrights.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I second the albright's reference. Nothing but great work out of the shop there. Had my guns up there twice and they have done a great job.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Don Horowitz, Gunsmith just over the MD line in Mercersburg PA, in business since 1955.

717-328-9632

Has done all my work for years!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts