Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son-in-law and I are headed down to Gunpowder Falls to check the place out. Are there any good fly shops in the area that are worth stopping at?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Backwater Angler in Monkton. They're right on the water and have a website with stream conditions and reports. backwaterangler.com

Theaux (pronounced Theo) LeGardeur is a good guy to talk to there.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Watch out for the flow. As of March 2 @10:00am the flow is several feet above normal and totally unfishable. Might take a while to settle down.

From top to bottom there are many good access points. Masemore Road. Bunker Hill Road and York Road, are good starting points. From Blue Mount Road upstream is pretty good too. Even though the area below Blue Mount Road allows bait & 2/day, theres still lots of good fish to find there.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
:jackthread: hey howard. could you go over on the conservation board for a min. on the thread on menhadon and explain to that guy crabslayer. Just what these little carbs that are in the harbor are called. That guy wants to kill stripers to increase the menhadon and carb populations. sorry dav. back to your topic.:D

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Watch out for the flow. As of March 2 @10:00am the flow is several feet above normal and totally unfishable. Might take a while to settle down.
Howard, very high flows there haven't prohibited me from catchin fish. I concentrate on the upper part between the dam and Falls Rd. Much of the suspended sediment seem to settle out before going over the dam and that strectch is usually never too dirty to fish. The fish move TIGHT to the banks. The smallest Rapala minnow has never let me down.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Walt - Managing trout streams is a cake walk compared to managing the Bay. Trying to figure out trout streams and trying to figuring out the Bay are a Quantum leap from each other in difficulty. I wouldn't hope to understand the Bay and what makes it work. The Bay's formula seems to be infinitely more complex than that of a stream... way over my head.

And I've haven't seen the tiny crabs in the Patapsco... so no comment there. I'll be looking out for them though.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Howard now that I'm not fish the harbor any more. I'll have to mark up a map for you. But in the mean time. Think rocks and concert.:thumbup::bigfish:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts