Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got out and shot the H&R 20 gauge heavy ultra slug hunter barrel I put on my 25-06.It is topped with the Zeiss 3x9x40 Conquest scope.I was shooting from a bench with a vise.
After sighting it in that didn't take long I was on target.
At 100 yds I am shooting a 2" group right on target.
At 50 yrds I'm cutting holes 2" high.
At 150 yrds I am 8" low.I was compensating for that and keeping about a 3" group on target.I think I could take him at 150 yds with a shooting rest.Just aim at his back bone at 150 yrds.
I tried several slugs and the Fed. Barnes Expander were grouping well.

Only draw back I had was that the third shot did not fire.Looks like the fireing pen didn't hit the primer hard enough.This was the third shot ever in this gun.Second try it fired.Shooting 30 rounds I had two more do that.They were Federal and Winchester shells so I think it is the gun.

I called H&R this AM and told them the problem and they told me to send it back and they would repair it and give me the $10 matching laminated forend that should had been put on the gun when I got the barrel installed.They will fix at no charge.

Glad it's not hunting season with this gun.

Overall,my friend and I shooting were impressed.[grin]

·
Registered
141 Posts
Cool deal....hope your happy with it. I absolutely love my H&R slug gun. The laminated stock sure is pretty on that gun. I had a similiar problem with a shell not firing, but I believe mine was a primer problem. After repeated attempts it would not fire and caused me to miss my buck. I hated watching a 150"-160" class 10-pointer trot away before I could load another shell. I was shooting Winchester Partition Golds. It was the only shell in that $13 box that wouldn't shoot. They thought they would compensate me by sending a $10 gift certificate. I was not happy with Winchester.....but the gun is Awesome.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Cool Jeff. I have one without the heavy barrel. I like mine too. Did you clean it good? If you are getting 2-3" groups without a good cleaning every 5 shots, you should be able to do even better. The H&R and my Rem barrel get dirty quick. I have a good 12gauge jag (or 20 in your case), and a solvent that says "for plastic fouling" and you should see the chunks of **** that come out. If you don't have a solvent like that, give it a try. The plastic from the sabots really fouls the rifling. Same with the muzzleloader. Even after a good "regular" cleaning, you can run plastic removing solvent thru a muzzleloader and get more junk out.

Try it. Also, try some Lightfield slugs. They work good for me too and cheaper than the premium stuff.

Dayton

·
Registered
1 Posts
David,
I had sent my H&R to Remington last year 6/25/2009 because I was having mis-fires. They did not charge me for the repair. The repair document indicated that they replaced the firing pin; hammer spring and tested ok. When i got it back, it shot great. Used it all year long.
Then this Jan. 2010 had some mis-fires. A friend of mine told me to spray brake cleaner into the firing pin canal to get any oil out. Thinking that since it was cold out that any oil would cause the mis-fires. The gun has worked fine until today when I went to qualify. Had shot and cleaned the gun in am then went to the range in the pm. Had three out of six rounds mis-fire. The ammo is from the same lot. I am using Hornady SSTs. When I examined the primer on the ones that did not fire, the inditation was very slight and on the ones that fired, they were deeper.
The range officer and others have told me that they have heard of others with same problem. The range officer said it looks like the firing pin maybe broken.
I really like the gun but not good to have mis-fires. I am part of a professional wildlife control group and need a dependable gun.
I had good luck with Federal Primium but then had flyers so went with Lightfields but did not like that they would not pass through and leave a blood trail. So I went with Hornady SSTs and they have worked good.
Sent an e-mail back to them to see what I should do and if they have improved on the mis-firing issue. Waiting for reply.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They must have had a run of bad springs or something.
I bought one 3 year ago,same thing.two out of thirty shells did not fire.Sent it back.shoots eveytime dead on.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've got two of the 20 guages for my kids and both have been shot at least 50 times each. Never a misfire. They are are ok but they are not as accurate as I'd been led to believe and I've tried about every slug on the market. Baseball sized groups at 100yards is the best I've gotten. If I had to do it over I would get the 12 guage next time. I've got a Browning 12 guage slug gun that will shoot bullet hole to bullet hole and shoots a lot harder and flatter. The Savage bolt action slug gun is a tack driver too. Buddy of mine got one and 1" groups with no problem. The 12 guage slug dumps them at the sound of the shot. The 20 does not have near the knockdown power. They usually run off and then die.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I bought my son the 20ga green laminated thumbhole ultra deluxe, topped it off with Warne maxima steel rings, and a Nikon Buckmaster 3x9-40 scope. I had the rings aligned, lapped, and the scope bore sighted. We used blue gun-tite on all screws and all screws were torqued. We tried Hornady 2 3/4" 1800fps SST 250gr FTX and only achevied a 2 7/8" 3 shot group @ 100yds. Then we tried Winchester Supreme Eite Dual Bond 2 3/4" 1800fps 260gr and only achevied a 6" 3 shot group @ 100yds. We are going to try Remington 2 3/4" Copper Solid 1500fps 5/8oz and retry the Hornady's.. I'm not sure about the groups as tested, shooting from a rest. I have another Nikon Buckmaster 3x9-40 in the safe but the only drawback is, it's silver. We have not had a misfire yet during testing and hope we won't.
I shoot a 12ga Ithaca Deerslayer II with a Burris 1 3/4 x 5 scope. The gun likes BRI 3" lead hour glass slugs and a 3 to 5 shot group rips one 2 to 2 1/4" hole in the target.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I invested in the H&R Ultra Laminate in 20 gauge a few years back and I'm very pleased with it's performance. I topped it off with a Nikon Shotgun scope and shoot the Remington 2 3/4" 5/8 oz coppersolids. I have had great results with <2.5" groups @100yds and haven't had to do a lot of tracking after the trigger is pulled. Haven't experienced any problems to date.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have the same H&R 20 gauge and get 2" groups with CopperSolids. As mentioned earlier, ya'll might want to try the Lightfields for accuracy. My brother has the same gun and I sighted it in last year with him with the Lightfields and all shots were touching each other at 100 yds. I am satisfied with a 2" group with my gun but the Lightfields shoot awesome. They are not as fast as others slugs but unbelievably accurate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts