Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the wind and storms lately we had to take advantage of a window of opportunity.

Meet up with Gene and departed from Messick Ramp at 0900 with 2 dozen crabs from Bill Forrest Seafood, about a dozen gudgeon's and some squid. The plan was to do a few drifts for flounder, then give the tog a try and then head over to the shoals off Fisherman's Isl to give the drum a go.

We had a nice ride across the bay and started off just south of the 3rd to give the flounder a try. The first drift produced one bite without a hookup in little to no current. I look at Gene and say this isn't gonna work let's give the tog a try.

We hit a few holes that have been fairly productive on the seaside of the 3rd and couldn't buy a bite. Decided to move over to the tube and dropped anchor in line with about 8-10 boats that were already on scene. The bite was slow as we only saw 2 small fish boated and the current was beginning to pick up. I only managed 1 fish but it was a nice 25" 10lb 8oz beauty. The fleet began dispersing and so did we as we had hopes of a few Bull Reds on our mind.

We set up just outside the breakers and deployed the spread and waited. That's about all we did was wait as the tide, wind and current just did not want to play together. Finally gave up around 3:30 with the wind beginning to rear it's head.

Maybe if we'd executed the plan in reverse order things would have played out differently but non the less it was good to be out on the water today soaking up some sun.

Remember tomorrow is the last day for tog until the later part of June so go get em.

Water Sky Vertebrate Outdoor recreation Fisherman

·
Registered
200 Posts
Wally.........Nice Tog! Fished with Jody and Davie yesterday. Jody got a 23" release citation tog off the tube next to the 4th island. We went over into the breakers off fisherman's island and fished the outgoing tide from 10 am to 1pm for red drum with no luck. I think the water temp was too cold.....59F. Saw two other boats when we were there.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Jody got a 23" release citation tog off the tube next to the 4th island.
We were anchored next you for about 1/2 hour and saw you guys pull that fish up. Nice one! We moved over to the pilings north of the 4th and right about 10am (right when the ebb started) the bite got crazy. We pull at least 15 fish off one piling with four throw backs. Several togs over 5 lbs and one my cousin caught at 8.3. They were really stacked up and hungry on that one piling. The bite died and off we went home around 11am.

Wally, that's a great way to end the tog season. Congrats!

Eddie's fish. (I have no idea how he keeps his shirt so clean.)

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies folks. The tog have kept us entertained this spring and it's been fun but it's time to move on to the flatties and drum. I sure hope May is a whole lot kinder to us wind wise. Surely is can't be any worse.

Rick, If we knew that was you we'd of said Hi when we arrived. We were in the Sea Fox that showed up just before you left. We were thinking the same thing when we saw 59 degree water. Might have to give it another try tomorrow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts