Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a Hand Held GPS to use on my boat. I only have a 17' boat but it is rigged for trolling! I want something what I will be able to have a chip for the bay so I can fish the edges. Any feed back on units would be great. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I have a Garmin 276C and it's an awesome little unit that can double as a color fish finder or car navigation unit. You can add a bathy chip to it that gives you awesome bottom detail in the bay. Right now they are clearing out the 376C for a $100 less than the 276's, and you can add XM to these units for weather, radar or radio.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Forget the handheld. Get a Lowrance color LMS520, or any LMS5xx that is on sale. Good deals to be found on these as Lowrance is in the process of a model
change over to the "HDS" (more costly series). Add a chart card (Nauticpath or Navionics). Perfect for a 17' boat. They are ff/depth finders also.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ray-Gar bottom finder

if you get a lowrance, then get the H2O hand held as a back up, my two lowrance combo's crapped out in the first year and is no longer a longer combo, just an expensive bottom finder
The new model, with broadband sonar, and detailed charts

The 2007 - 2008 models, look for some good deals

Sense we are into "bashing", before I switched to Lowrance, this one($1600 plus attachments)

Followed by this one (only $1000)

"crapped out" on me. Didn't think they would be heavy enough to use as an
anchor (or bottom finder?).

CJcobs2. I still have a Garmin. A gps 12 handheld. It's yours for
shipping ($10) if you want it. Just add batteries it works as good
as new.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Sense we are into "bashing", before I switched to Lowrance....
AMiller456,
At least he didn't use obscenities to call you a liar as he had done in the past when others had the audacity to question the superiority of Lowrance products on other boards

·
Registered
12,112 Posts
I fish from shore(through the forrests)by kayak,river skiff & a Bay Boat.
the H20 Lowrance sounds like a unit that would be versatile for all the ways I fish.There's a H20
$169 & H20 C.$269.The C has 16 channels instead of 12 on the standard H20 & a clearer screen.I like the options of Ram Holders for the kayak & boats,12v cig.adapter instead of batteries on the boat.I'd also lke to get an ac/dc adapter to practice & map in the house.I didn't see one listed?Now,for you guys that own one.I'd likt to get a chip for the
Chesapeake Bay
& surrounding ground.What chip do you like & the best & company?BTW several dealers are presently sold out by popular demand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.