Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never owned one of these and am considering one for my 16 Carolina Skiff that is tiller operated without a console.On open water,onthe Bay,on flat seas,about how many miles can you pick up & receive from?I realize that all answers cannot be absolute.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
I have the Uniden Atalntis and have gotten aas much as about 6 to 7 miles from it. A lot depends on how far you will get; such as how many others are on the air, etc. My range is with no one on the air.

Now the Atlantis I have is rated JIS4 waterproof which means that casual splashing and such will not hurt it. In fact, I use it in my jayak and it is ALWAYS wet in there. Their next model up is the Voyager and it is rated at JIS7 or 8 which means that it will work up to about 10 feet under the water for about 30 minutes with no harm.

The one I have is $99 and the Voyager is $149. Good radios. I really like mine. Of course, you can spend a lot more for about the amse preformance, ut with a couple of extra features. It all depends on what YOU want in the radio.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
I used to have a Uniden that was good for 3-7 miles depending on conditions. Decided it wasn't worth expense when it died to get a new one. A fixed mount VHF and cell phone work fine. Handhelds are too expensive for the minimal performance.

·
Registered
11,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried it out this mornong on the Flats.I heard a commie at Bush River.I was at the north end of the Flats and asked for a radio check from anyone on the south end and didn't get a response on 68 .That's about 5-7mi.Maybe no one heard me?It was pretty lumpy on the south end.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts