Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is Jim. Jamie couldn't get a pass to be 186 mi. from the VERY pregnant wife ( due any time :clapping2:. So I made the sacrifice and went down Monday & Tuesday with Walleye Pete and had a blast. Had a few people bail on me both days, but managed to get by with two of us fishing plus Pete each day. Since there was room, old Pete always had a reel in his hand too. The man is a master of "threading the needle" through those pilings under the bridge.

Monday, the morning started a little windy, but slowed mid morning to almost calm. I was hoping for some top water action during that calm, but no luck. Nothing boiling on the surface. Very little bird activity too. But Pete put us on fish! look at his fish finder below. They were stacked up from the bottom to almost the surface. Bouncing a jig head and 6" BKD on the bottom got you a nice fish almost every cast. No huge fish, 25" to slot were almost all of our hits. Fished till 4:00 and we pulled in 200.

Tuesday, the wind picked up. they said 12-15 building to 20. We got out there and it stayed 15 to 20 most of the day, picking up as we were coming in. It was a little more bumpy, but manageable to jig. First casts that day got us our biggest fish (35") and it was on again. We usually would catch 10 or 15, then as soon as it got cold, we would move on to a different area, and the bite was back on.

Pete can sniff them out! We spent most of our time jigging and very little hunting. It didn't matter if the tide was ripping or not the bite stayed pretty steady.

We didn't pitch behind or between the poles much this time. We didn't have to. Once we marked some, we dropped to the bottom and bounced a little, then jigged up the column, usually with success.

We used 3/4 oz. heads when the tide was slow, then 1.5, then 2.0. Stayed with 6" BKD's until we hit those big ones Tue. morning, then switched to 10's. White, green glitter, chart. or opening night...it didn't matter much. We had 3 different colors on at once and we were all banging them.

We came in about 3:00 as the wind started picking up. thank goodness it was behind us going back in to Kipto. Tuesday's count was around 200 also.

Wed. was going to be a major blow, but the weekend down there looked promising.

Every time I fish with Pete is always a good time and he always finds the fish. a couple of times we'd be catching, drifiting through a set of pilings and before Pete could set up again, we had boats come in and Snarf our pilings:nono:. They would drift through and NOTHING. Pete would nicely move to the next set of pilings and we'd bang em!

BTW they upgraded the hotel a little. and they have a restaurant that opens at 6:00 AM. I saw a new one a few miles up the road ( Shore Stay)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Thanks for the report/pics Jim. Looks like a fun trip with a lot of action. I gotta get down there soon!

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Good report, Jim. Were you feeling for the bottom when the fish were stacked at 48'? Pete's amazing. I'm really hoping to get out with him down there.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah Shawn, you had to throw the jig behind you, to get it down, as it went by, you could feel it touch, when the tide was moving. That can be a very sticky bottom if you're not careful. I only had to break my line three ( snagged on the bottom...usually rocks) times. Down there, while you're re-tiying a leader, my buddy is steady banging 4 or 5 fish. It was killing me!

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Nice report...I have usually made a few trips down there already but work has jammed me up....hope to get there soon.........

·
Registered
952 Posts
Thanks for the report Jim. What was the trick for finding the fish away from the bridge with no birds?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I saw you guys on Monday. I was the one in the 25' Parker WA waving and yelling trying to get Pete's attention. Lost all the numbers in my cell phone so I couldn't call to pass some info to him. From your post, he didn't need the info I had to pass.

He certainly can put his customers on fish. Glad you had a great time.

Dave

aka

·
Registered
2 Posts
Saw you guys Monday as well. We had a few boats out. 20' Mako and 23' Jones. We fished Saturday under birds and did ok. Monday was a much better day around the pilings. It's interesting to see the same boats down there in December that I see on the flats in April. Same guys chasin the same fish. It's great.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well I will have to 2nd Jim's write up since I got to go as the 2nd guy on Tuesday and it was awsome. Thanks again Pete for putting us on the fish. FISH ON!!!

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
Thanks for putting up a report/ pixs,haven't been there yet but will make my first trip soon.

Anytime you see Pete in the title you know its going to be good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts