Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OBX. The plans are to hit the shore wrecks one day, hit one or two offshore AR another day and head down to Hattteras to do some rod fishing for a day/all night thing. We'll see how much gets done.

Good luck to you all,

Spearo.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Distraction,

Any time. If I'm not there I''ll tell you how to find some of the ones that are not marked/bouyed.
To this day, the biggest SHead I have ever seen went in my bag on that site several years ago, it was a monster from the deep. I have seen a lg. King there too but just out of range for a good shot. The only problem with those close-in sites is the vis., you just don't know what you're going to have from on hr. to the next. Some of the things to look for are a H. tide or one just going out, forget the in-comming or a low tide.

·
Registered
510 Posts
as far as shore entry wrecks, I know of 3 and I'm sure there are many more, there is the clythia located about 1/2 mile north of the va/nc border, there is another located in rodanthe at the cape hatteras campground, and another in salvo at the very south end of town. thats all I can think of. unless you want to try swimming out to the boiler wreck on pea island. all listed are obx

·
Registered
176 Posts
Are these freediveable, or do I need to hork all my tanks and gear down there, too?

I'll get with you guys either with bmail or by phone for the locations. Driving/Parking directions would be ideal, but GPS coords will work, too. :)

I love you guys! You're my new best friends! :) Seriously, though, I've never been spearfishing from shore entry...that would make my whole vacation! I'm used to viz from 3- 10 feet, so...if it was 10' I'd be totally happy.

What's an lg? (Lane Grouper?) What other fish have you seen there? Flounder? What kind of licenses does an out of stater need to spear in the ocean from shore?

You guys rock! Thanks!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have never done Clythia, Rodanthe or Salvo, time there seems go very fast and is never enough to just look for things but this has been on my list for years.

I would take the scuba gear and a weight belt to go with the freedivin. The shore wrecks/parts are about 20-25fsw but when the vis. is low (most of the time) you need to get down and dirty and the scuba will help you there.

One thing I would tell you.. divers with ther gear divin these shore wrecks for the first time under estimate the return conditions and the wave action at the "danger zone"

Several years ago I had a few divers and their instructor staying at my place for a week and they wanted to do some spearfishing in the OBX. I told them of the wrecks, conditions on the surf etc. and they just looked at each other for a second. To make a long story short, they dove the U85 and a few others and on the last day, they went and did the Triangle (a beach dive) wreck in KDH(not a big deal) I was told that coming back from the dive to shore a wave hit one of them so bad that it stripped most of the gear off his back (tank and BC included) and they had to pull him to shore and not in a very good shape. About one week later I was told that the tank and BC (what was left of it) was found on the surf some 15 miles north. Before you scubadive read the surf, going in is not a problem but coming back under other than flat conditions can be a challange if your doing it there for the first time. Normaly mid July is good but you just never know untill you walk the beach before the dive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts