Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Matepeake on Kent Island on Saturday. 50K dollar boat. Smashed both tail lights on the ice and the right fender. He got his waders on then jumped in and busted up the ice, then a few of us grabbed his bow line and turned him around in the ice hole, off he went, slow, prop smacking large peices of ice, bow riding up on the ice until it broke a lane to open water.
Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Naval architecture Tire

Water Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle

Water Sky Cloud Water resources Lake

·
Registered
365 Posts
If I told you once I told you a thousand times YOU CANT FIX STUPID :eek2:

·
Registered
678 Posts
$50K for a duck skiff? Must be a nice duck skiff. For the record - my vote is Hard Core. We were out wednesday last week. It was frigid. We didn't get frozen in but the decoys iced over and started to flip in about an hour.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I am gonna go with a little bit of both, mainly stupid. It is one thing to break oce going across a farm pond, this is different. And he was solo? That is plain stupid.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
If you had one week left to do what you love and then had to wait 9 months to do it again (not even C&R), you might do the same. Cuttin across the lagoon at Matapeake isnt that crazy.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He had another guy with him. I thought to myself when he was standing on the ice jumping up and down holding onto the motor - "Americas Funniest Home videos give 10K for this and I don't have my vid camera. I should have taken some pics of the lane he made, next time I will. While he was parking the trailer I asked his friend what the boat costs and he said around 50,000. Owner was in his twenties.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
For $50 K it oughta' fly and land with pontoons.

That would have solved all of the problems.

Chris

·
Registered
105 Posts
That's no way a 50k rig. Maybe if you included the truck. I wouldn't say its nuts, or all that hard core. I did the same thing in my carolina skiff yesterday and it was well worth the effort. The ducks are out there big time as long as you can get to them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That boat is 21ft Bankes Goliath just the boat without the motor runs between 21-24k, the motor is an Evinrude etec 150 is around 17k , then you have the trailer and electronics as well as delivery from Port Rowan Ontario. Is it worth it? I guess it depends what you are into..... I look at the money guys have into there fishing boats and gear and I think they are nuts but that is there passion. As far as safety goes I was the friend of the owner hunting out of that boat and I never felt safer on any boat than I do that motor with my friend at the helm. When we came in after hunting there not even a scratch on the hull or the prop. The trailer lights got bent up and the lens cracked and broken but they still worked. So of course my vote is for HARDCORE because I was one of the guys in the boat. But I can see how some may think we need our heads examined but duck season comes once a year for 60 days and we dont take any days off.....

·
Registered
285 Posts
definitely a few screws loose

I felt nuts this am busting ice across the upper pax which was completely frozen except for about a 30 foot section. Got to the other side, set up in the marsh, set my dekes which immediately froze back into the ice, missed two birds, drank my coffee and watched a beautiful sunrise. On the plus side the canoe cost only $150 three years ago and fits on top of my 8 year old tahoe. It was a nice sunrise also - complete bluebird. I've been hunting every day for the last two weeks because it will be 9 months until I get to go after um again. That justifies it for me.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Maybe in my younger years I would have thought about it, but not anymore. That a nice looking boat, definetly some hardcore hunters !

·
Registered
507 Posts
Chalk me up as another who busted the trailer lights while launching into the ice last week... but i sure hope those guys shot more than I did!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.