Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bob, Terry and I arrived at Harkers last Sun to strong winds. The title says it all. We had to run many miles to find fish that would take a fly and battled the elements all week (particularly wind). Monday we landed 15 albies on the fly with two triples. Tues it blew a gale and snowed horizontally--we did not go out. Wed it was still blowing but we went out in the afternoon and caught four. Thurs was our best day with five albies in the Hook and 20 more offshore, with two triples again. Fri we saw albies splashing in the rear of the Hook but they did not seem to want a fly. It blew 40 kts, so we quit at 9:30. The ride up that snaky channel was sporty. Sat it was blowing 20 kts and bitter cold. We managed four fish late in the day on the East Side, as conditions calmed some.

This was our eleventh year and by far the worst weather ever. The albies are there in good numbers, but the weather prevented good fishing. The fish we caught were not the magnum NC variety but were from 7 to 10 pounds. We caught a better grade of fish in Montauk in Sept.

Even though the elements were against us and we missed some time fishing, we had a great time. Met a fisherman with a 23 JB named Smoot. Exchanged some interesting hunting and fishing tales.

Donnie Jones gave us a personal tour of Jones Bros boats during our shore day on Tues. He was a gracious host and really explained the vacuum foam process for forming the deck and transom. They are great fly fishing boats.

We will try to return to Harkers next year but are not renting a house in advance. We talked to the realtor and he is certain he can find us a house and slip on short notice. We will check the ten day forecast before committing to a rental. Took very few pics. Was too busy battling the elements.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Bill, At least you got some on the fly. The three days we were there I didn't even try on the fly. It sure has been one rough fall down there for all the albie fisherman. Glad the wreck worked out for you.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Bill you should be in South Florida the Albies are thick right now off Miami Beach. We were catching them with some 8lb test spinning tackle. Most captains are catching them for there Swordfish bait. They sprinkle them with Bromide and salt so they keep there color and than freeze them. Also its a lot warmer here.:D

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Hank-

The warm part would have been the best part of Fl. Usually Nov is in the mid sixties in NC. This week was brutal.

It is back to stripers now.

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Hey Bill

Thanks for the reports. Sounds like a battle with the elements.The weather was about the same up here. Never the less, it sounds like you guys caught more albies then anyone last week.

I hear the stripers are hungry, let's go get them:fishing2::yes:

Thanks for the report and pics.

Brandon

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FF-

Our best fly was the tutti frutti (pink over chartreuse) Clouser on a #2 hook. The fly had a little pearl crystal flash and some silver mirage flash. It was about 3" long. The fish were on anchovies with a pinkish tan back. Fortunately they were not on micro bait last week. Much of the time all three of us had on the same fly because it worked well when we could get on the albies.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Bill: Thanks. I was asking about the fly line, though, not the fly. I can't see any fly line in the photo you posted; what kind of line were you using?

FF

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FF-

Used four lines at Harkers:

Floating was an 11 wt Wulff Bermuda Triangle.
Intermediate was a 10 wt Airflo Cold Water Striper Ridge line.
250 was a SA Streamer Express.
Deep sink was a SA Custom Tip Express cut to 30'.

All were on ten wt rods.

The 250 is good to sling the fly out in the wind but not sink too fast. The CTE is great for dredging over wrecks.

I find most clear intermediate lines tangle in the heat of battle, particularly in the wind. I still have a few but am getting away from them. As long as the leader is six feet or more I do not think albies shy away from colored lines.

I do have a 400 grain clear tip SA Streamer Express intermediate line on order. Dan Blanton keeps recommending it and I am going to try it. It is rated for 9 to 12 wts and sinks at only 1.5 ips.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Thanks, Bill. I've caught albies with floating, intermediate, and sinking lines from a boat; I always prefer a floater if possible. From the beach I once got one on an intermediate line. I have more trouble with sinking lines tangling than the others. Were you able to hook up with the floater on this trip?

It's been wicked cold and windy here (Chesapeake Bay), too, as I'm sure you can tell from reading the boards.

FF

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I like the floater more and more for albies. It is really nice to pick up and fire. The Wulff BT line is a real canon shot.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Bill:

Would you repeat that part about the "tutti frutti (pink over chartreuse) Clouser"?;-);-);-)

Sorry you did not have better weather. But, on the flip side you could have been home working on the "Honeydo's.;-);-)

I will send you a Marlin report from Cabo next week. One guy released 17 "Big Stripers" on fly last week.:clapping2:

GT

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have a great time next week. Can't wait to see the pics and hear the stories.

Sounds as you are warming up to the idea of using a fly rod on those striped marlin.;-)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts