Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a commercial smoker and have smoked many bluefish, trout and salmon but never catfish. I have a good bit of blue cat fillets and thought about smoking some..............Gary

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I can't remember who gave it to me, but I have eaten smoked catfish and it was very good. They were on the small side though so I don't know if the larger ones would be any different or not.

·
Registered
13,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't remember who gave it to me, but I have eaten smoked catfish and it was very good. They were on the small side though so I don't know if the larger ones would be any different or not.
Gonna smoke some this weekend. I'll post results..... Gary

·
Registered
104 Posts
Earl Ashenfelter, famed Susquehanna River guide(below Conowingo), converted an old refrigerator into a fish smoker. He said that when he would bring home a bunch of catties from the river, he would fire up the refrigerator/smoker. Within hours his neighbors would stop by to "reintroduce" themselves, LOL!! He was a fantastic Striper fisherman as well, particularly partial to topwater plugging with Atom poppers. He also was incredibly adept at slow trolling with skinny surgical tubing eels with a small piece of bloodworm attached. I eventually started making my own in a terra cotta color with an S-bend. I was so captured by the techniques he showed me, I purchased an old wooden rowboat and kept it @Ray and Helen Spangler's place on the Cecil County side above Port Deposit back in the 70's. The way that Earl negotiated the rock infested(upper end) of the river was amazing! This was done with Conowingo's various speeds of water flow per amount of gates that were opened. Yep, those were the days!!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Earl Ashenfelter, famed Susquehanna River guide(below Conowingo), converted an old refrigerator into a fish smoker. He said that when he would bring home a bunch of catties from the river, he would fire up the refrigerator/smoker. Within hours his neighbors would stop by to "reintroduce" themselves, LOL!! He was a fantastic Striper fisherman as well, particularly partial to topwater plugging with Atom poppers. He also was incredibly adept at slow trolling with skinny surgical tubing eels with a small piece of bloodworm attached. I eventually started making my own in a terra cotta color with an S-bend. I was so captured by the techniques he showed me, I purchased an old wooden rowboat and kept it @Ray and Helen Spangler's place on the Cecil County side above Port Deposit back in the 70's. The way that Earl negotiated the rock infested(upper end) of the river was amazing! This was done with Conowingo's various speeds of water flow per amount of gates that were opened. Yep, those were the days!!
Dougeeboy, check your PMail.

Jerry

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
3,293 Posts
......... Those definitely were the days .......... I'd come in around 1 pm and Ray and I would sit at one of his picnic tables and have a "smiggin" and swap stories ........ (Jack Daniels he kept in the freezer of the bait frig and a splash of water. ) ............. You would never know who would show up at his place.

I actually followed Earl up to the Big Pool a couple of times early in the morning with the water down.

Ray was in his 70's and could out work any man I knew. Shame he fell off his roof and died.

Loved that place .......... LOTS of memories ...........

·
Registered
13,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finally smoked the catfish fillets. They were absolutely delicious and far better than bluefish I have previously smoked. Below is my recipe

1 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbs creole seasoning
1 cup water

Brine for 4 hours then pat dry and let sit for 2 hours on a rack to dry out and form a pellicle. This allows the smoke to attach to the fish.
I used cherry pellets as opposed to cherry wood. This was suggested to me by Eric, owner of Mason Dixon BBQ. I found these pellets to burn more evenly and not create a bitter taste. I set the smoker to 200 degrees and smoked them for three hours. I took them to Snood Fest and got many compliments on them. I also smoked a rock fish fillet and made a dip out of it which consisted of 1 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup cream cheese, 2 tbs Worchestershire sauce, 2 tbs Old Bay, 1 tbs powdered garlic and 1 tbs parsley.

Blue cats are snapping real good in the Potomac right now and will turn on even better as the shad arrive at the end of March. I release all cats bigger than 24" but the ones under 24" come home with me. Very good cut up and deep fried in a Cajun batter too. Go and get you some! Great table fare and helps control this invasive species..................Gary

·
Registered
13,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Smoked catfish photo

Here is a photo of the smoked catfish. Can't wait to get more.........Gary

20160306_180743.jpg

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
It is only legal with fish under 24 ounces in DC. Still illegal in MD...... Gary
Yes but it was decriminalized in MD in small amounts so you won't go to jail if they just catch you with a meal's worth.

And then there is medicinal use once you get the prescription from your Fish Dr....

Great stuff Gary, I am glad the recipe worked out!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts