Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It seems there have bben a few skunks floating around this weekend. We had what I would call a poor weekend but didn't get skunked. Not much action. So, how about some feedback? Have the fish gone south? Was it all the feshwater that was dumped into the bay last week? Was it the fool moon and the high pressure system that just went through? Or could it have been lure colors or presentation. I think we tried about everything in the box?:scratchchin3:

Happy Holidays to all and be safe! :eatdrink:

·
Registered
154 Posts
we caught fish all the way until end of season last year in the river. i think the moon and overall conditions had them turned off. it has turned cold quicker this year too, some say the fish didn't make it to the bay as they did last couple of years as it was milder then. fish seem more likely to bite rigs in the lower colum of water too.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Fished 3rd-4th island CBBT 12/12. Very slow. Not many boats out for this time of year. Trolled 5 hours before we finally found a school of small fish along the bridge. No birds. Fish 18-23. Caught limit and released as many in about 45 minutes before heading in. Coast Guard was boarding boats. Still a very slow year everywhere.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I think the high pressure and moon phase had a lot to do with the recent fishing conditions, the fish have not left by any means. I have seen plenty on the fish finder, but barely any bait to be found in our area. The fish arent going to be schooled up in feeding mode if there isn't anything for them to feed on. This week I plan on heading north to see what there is up there. I hope to find bait and the mother load of fish feeding on them!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Satterly. Good luck fishing this week. I am taking my son and his friend on Thursday 12/18. Would appreciate a report if you find any fish. Right now I am thinking of fishing around markers 8-10 in the Rapp, but will gladly head into the Bay if that is where the fish are.

·
Registered
37 Posts
We fished North of the HI bouy off of Hoopers Isl. yesterday (took a whoopin from the wind) and caught 8 fish from 31 to 45" out of bait balls with Gannets diving . I think they are all above the Northern Neck this year

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
one of my friends fished around smith point yesturday for about an hour and they caught 3 fish over the slot, I am thinking north is where it wil lbe.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I fish Sunday off Cape Charles and Wolf Trap. Wasn't expecting a good day based on the lack of postings Saturday evening and first hand experience...and wasn't disappointed. I've heard good things about Cape Henry this past weekend and continue to see good reports from the Potomac area. Can't help but agree there's better fishing in those two areas. In general birds and bait have been scarce in the middle bay. Every week I think it should pick up and it really hasn't. Sunday was my first skunk this year and I'm not happy...can you tell?

·
Registered
80 Posts
My story is the same as everyone else. Fished buoy 42 to 40 on Sunday with no fish. Saw plenty of bait and some fish on the finder. On the way in to Deltaville stopped at R1 to R2 and finally caught one 21 inch rockfish! A very slow day. If the talk on the radio can be believed we were not alone!

·
Registered
589 Posts
was at the boat today putting on a new gps things sounded hot for a while somewhere around the bridge.didnt catch all the details plan on fishing in the morning an wed going up to the maryland line a buddie was up there last sat didnt catch an fish but it is going to bust wide open up there tons of bait an fish all in 70 to90 feet of water more than I have see anywhere else in the bay this year. team vida loca

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I'm no marine biologist but i would have to say that it would at least be part of it, the fish turn up into the bay to feed. If they don't see what they are looking for then I would expect them to keep it in high gear.

·
Registered
589 Posts
lack of bait if you blink your eyes you will miss the bait balls i have not fonud any amount of bait to bounce the depthfinder this year an where have all the birds been working this year I have caught more fish this year that have shrimp an eels in them than anything else

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hear of a good bite Sunday...North at the MD line....I have not marked any good baitballs for weeks, all marks are scattered...hope it turns on before the 31st. For sure it has been a wierd season...not many birdsm, not much bait.....we'll sse.

I am thinking positive....goin to take some time off next week and will be fishin.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Can You say Omega

The Omega fish oil company had a very bussy year this year. I am no expert on this subject, but I was on the water of the bay and rivers over 80 times this year and saw the menhaden boats all most every time.. I don't know what their quota is, but, I believe its may be measure in Millions of tuns per year. If anyone knows what the quota is please set me straight. I do know they use an air plane over head to spot the schools of Menhaden. And I know their nets are a few hundred yard long. The fish are removed daily form bay waters, thousands at a time. There is no possible way that this can NOT have an effect on the bay and feeding patterns of game fish. I fished 14 times this rock fish season, and the fish were hard to find. Bird activity was very scatered this year and very slim. there were many days when the radio reflected poor catching, Bait pods are smaller than usual, Northen bay water ( from reports) seem to be active.

I don't realy know a lot about Omega... these are just my observations... Fished about 40 years and this one was different.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I will echo the statements made by other so far. Fewer pods of bait and the pods are smaller in the region from Cut Channel to MD/VA Line. Thus the fishing has been spotty. You pick on up here and there but no above average concentrations. The last few fall seasons have been excellent, and I would consider this one slightly below average. Hey look at the bright side, fuel is below $2 so it doesn't cost as much to aimlessly wonder around the bay!:yes:

·
Registered
589 Posts
well I have come to the conclusion that something is really wrong I left broad creek this morning an went to point lookout md as soon as I crossed the va/md line bang fish everywhere an tons of bait as though there is a wall at the line. fished a while an it got to rough for us so we came back down to the rapp we never marked a fish going or coming on the bay I personally think its a water quality issue low oxygen or something an one 18inch dink in the river. we ran up with 3 other charter captians an they didnt mark anything either going or coming an they to ended up in the rapp.well it looks like its time to move the boat to a diffrent location.:confused:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Rockfish Puzzle

What is the significant difference betweem MD and VA waters? Water Temp, water quality, fishing pressure, available structure etc. Checking the various buoys and web sites it all looks about the same to me. Although I admit I am no marine biologist. The key difference to me is there is very little bait in VA waters. Every fish we have caught in the last few weeks have had empty stomachs. There is bait and plenty of fish down by the CBBT. There is bait and plenty of fish north of the Potomoc. There is very little bait and few fish between the Potomoc and Thimble Shoal. Early in the season there were huge baitballs all over fleets bay, 59A, the cut channel, 41A, in the lower Rapp, windmill and 2R. People were commenting they had never seen so much bait! What happened to it? There are people at VIMS or VMRC that are a lot smarter than I am that should answer that question. However at the risk of incurring the wrath of Reedville, I might hazard a guess that driven by the new harvest caps on Menhaden in Texas and high fuel costs, our friends from Omega might have fished harder a little closer to home and increased their harvest from the middle bay. Anyone seen a 12" menhaden in the bay in the last few years? We need to have a serious and informed disussion about what is happening in the bay to uncover the root cause of the problem and take corrective action before a great fishery is destroyed again. Let the fun begin!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts