Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a HAtteras trip with friends over New Years Weekend. We are going to try to fish from the beach or OI.

What can I expect to catch that time of year and do any of you have any tackle tips for me?

I will probably fish the inlet one day and Avon beach/surf the next.

Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I'm not really a beach fisherman,[mainly from a boat] but I would guess that having a piece of cut menhaden sitting on the bottom would be a good start.casting with a large hopkins or gator spoom might work if the rock come in close enough.
fishing off the catwalk at OI bridge always seem to work also.hope this helps.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
I posted this on OI post before I read this..but..We used to catch Flounder at the point in january.This was in the 70s so I don't know if it's still happening?You could keep all you wanted back then.If you hit it right,you could catch a freezer full.Remember the song...Those were the days my friend....we thought they'd never end...

·
Registered
2 Posts
The guys and girls at red drum can steer you in the right direction. Most people use fishfinder rigs w/ cutbait mainly menhaden, the fresher the better. 6 or 8 oz. pyramid weight. If you can find birds near shore, start chunking spoons. Good luck. Oh, and by the way the flounder arent there like in the seventies. My dad has pics of coolers of flatties from the seventies, but not any more.[wink]

·
Registered
77 Posts
i'll be down there the same time. last year i caught a nice rock on some cut bunker. definitely stop by the red drum. check out their website for fishing reports---www.reddrumtackle.com

definitely bring your waders. its a great time to be there, nothing but fishermen down there this time of year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts