Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vacation in hatteras was awsome thanks to the guys on here that helped me fish the area.

We stoped in at Teaches Lair Marina upon arrival to gain info, and were bummed to find out the inlet was a mess on Sunday Morning due to Irene swirling away offshore. They said a 23 Carolin Skiff was not the boat to be in, going through those swells so we stayed in the backcountry on Sunday and got sunburned.

Monday morning, we drove down to Teaches Lair to get a coffee, and ask some more ??'s. The guy says, "I thought you'd be out there already, the inlets fine today...SEE YA!!!

We hauled ass back to the house to jump in the skiff and head out to the deep blue seas.

Our effortts were greatly rewarded, when 20 minutes into our spread being out this guy came calling..

a Nice hoo for our first ever, and he took a 3 1/2 drone spoon with green reflector tape fished behind a #1 planer.

The day continued with a few big spanish and a couple of small kings. My goal going down there was to catch a king and a dolphin from my boat. I have caught dolphin on charters before but never from my own boat. I have never caught a king, so half of the goal was met when this guy came on board and barely made the size limit

We went several hours without a strike and found ourselves in 110 foot, with a nice weed line in view. I knew there had to be dolphin underneath, so we trolled paralell to it for a couple of miles but found no takers. eventually my brother threw a hunk of squid next to a goofy little piece of wood floating a hundred or so yards off the weed line and this guy took the bait.

We stayed and bailed these tasty little buggers for an hour or so, and brought home a limit for the table. On the way back in we picked up a false albacore and threw him in the box for dolphin bait tomorrow. off to the beach to play with the kids!! what a morning

Day 2 started with the youngsters on board to get them into the bailers, and then come back in so they didn't get bored with trolling. 3 miles out, mine is as green as the water, and as a dad who has been sea sick many times, I didn't have the heart to keep him out there. We stayed in the backcountry, and the kids had a blast with grunts, oinfish, and rays all morning long.

Day 3 was beach all day and had a blast boogie boarding and playing with my 6 year old.....oh I managed a few minutes of fishing as well, and got into some hot Pompano action.

Day 4 was a wash weather wise with 20 knots out of the east. So we did the beach thing again

Day 5 started like it was going to be a wash as well, but we trolled the inshore reefs picking up a few spanish, as the weather continued to get better. by noon we found ourselves in 150 feet 19 miles from the inlet. The water was like glass, and we were trolling towards a giant weed line. we switched out a couple of baits and freshened our ballyhoo on the bird rig as we went through the weeds. We started trolling paralell to them, and the bird rig goes off like a cannon. I have never seen a level wind drag go back and forth so fast. Just as my brother grabs hold of it, and tightens down, a billfish leaps, and snaps the line. We are set up for trolling the bay....50 lb gear....we were not prepared for that, but it made the trip, and I wouldn't have had to catch another fish the rest of the day, and it would have been worthwhile.

regardless, we get reset and contiue our troll when a dolphin candy starts screaming. another leap of a good size fish, and I was scrambling to clear lines. After a laurel and hardy act trying to stick a gaff in this fish, it finally comes in the boat.

Our first bull gaffer dolphin. What a rush!!

Get the lines set, and the same rig goes off again. Not quite as big but a real treat for my brothers GF

As she is bringing in the fish, I see another one following it. I throw a hunk of false Albacore on the hook and drop it right in front of the fishes face, it takes the bait, and my drag begins to scream. I have a big bull on a light tackle rod, and have a battle on my hands. What a blast watching this fish jump and carry on, in the blue waters off Hatteras...doe slife get any better? I didn't get an action shot of myself on the boat, because we were surrounded by big dolphin, and didn't want to take up anyones fishing time, snapping a picture of me. So here he is back at the dock.

On the last day we were able to get out before coming home, I forgot my camera at the house...so no more pictures, but we had a slow day anyway...a couple of spanish and a small yellowfin Tuna, which was cool.

A great vacation in Hatteras, and thanks to everyone who gave me so much good information that I used down there. My first Offshore fishing experiences on my own boat were great, and now I want to do it all the time. Anybody want to buy a 2004 Carolina Skiff???

Oh yeah, and does anyone have the number to Cabo yachts?[grin][grin]

·
Registered
474 Posts
Nicely done. I was in Frisco through August 8, so I missed your post for help. It was my first time out of the inlet in a 17 ft. Pro line. The man at Teach’s sold me 3 oz. red/white arrow-head jigs and squid to drop over AR-230, as well as a $18.00 chart to find AR 230. On the first drop it was BAM, lost the jig, BAM lost the jig and BAM 4 foot black-tip on light tackle. I hadn’t planned on leaving the sound, but now I’m bit. Next time I’m taking real man’s tackle. Oh, they were catchin dolphin in the grass beds 10 miles out, so I tried trollin and caught some grass.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
What a great report thanks for sharing it and they are some great pic’s as well. It always good to read a post about catching fish in a Carolina Skiff and taking it out in the deep blue sea is awesome. I have had mine out in the Ocean a few times but never caught anything like that. WTG

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the replies guys.

The skiff did awsome in the ocean. It is actually the second time I have had it out, but last year was strictly bottom fishing reefs.

What can I say about these boats, they are very roomy fishing platforms, and they catch fish. I could do an entire post just on why I love my Carolina Skiff. [grin]

The only drawback.....a 10 knot headwind, makes for a wet bumpy ride home...but I can deal with that, to go catch a few fish, and not go broke doing it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts