Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be in Hatteras for a week, taking our 23 Dauntless Whaler down. We have taken to the beach many times and have even gone off shore as far as 20 miles in the boat....I know I know...but we only went on days with low wind, no change of thunderstorms and we managed to follow out some local guides in similiar size boats and larger. We have a SPOT on board, Marine radio and Lowerance HD...and yes, all the other safety stuff as well.

Most of our fishing will take place in the Harbor and channels inshore as they are catching reds, spanish, blues and cobia. However, just off shore less than 5 miles, they are catching Dolphin and King Mackeral.

I have never taken the boat to Hatteras however and will be keeping it at Teachers Lair Marina right at the Harbor. Has anyone gone out of Hatteras Inlet with a small boat....looking for advice and experience..no lectures please...I've been boating for 25 years

·
Registered
432 Posts
We went out on the Miss Hatteras about a month ago, inlet was crazy... kinda zigzag out with lots of shoaling. Pay close attention to the channel markers and you should be ok. Running parallel to the beach is never fun.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Don't be afraid to run offshore if the weather is right, a 23' whaler is plenty. Look on fishweather at the diamond shoals buoy to get a good idea of conditions and forecast, if you see something along the lines of 2-3' @ 7-9 seconds then you're in the clear. Head out towards the rock pile or south of there towards the triple zeros, look for a grass line and or temp break and you'll probably get on some good dolphin fishing. Oceantemp has a nice service to check out SST and chlorophyll in exact locations, that'll help give you your target area to start fishing.

As far as the inlet goes, after going out memorial day weekend I don't see how anyone would be able to explain it to you. Best bet is to leave Hatteras harbor or teach's at about 6:00 and follow someone out to the ocean. Preferably a charter because with the small boat guys you never know who actually knows where they're going. The current channel winds through the sound for roughly ten miles and several of the markers and buoys can't be trusted at all. If I were running on plane I would go nowhere in that inlet that I hadn't already been and recorded a GPS track.

Good luck!

·
Registered
11,150 Posts
The people at Teaches lair will give you the information you need to run the inlet and where they're biting.I took my "new" at the time 24 Grady White there in 92.I never fished offshore before.4 of us caught 3 Wahoo that day.on sea witches & plastic Bally Hoo.The inlet can be dicey in a small boat so just take your time and get the feel of the seas.You can lay back and watch how and where other boats are navigating it before you pass through it.A 20 mi. run or less should put you in good, fishy water.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts