Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm coming down to Hatteras for a week in mid August with the family. This will be our first time at Hatteras. The cottage we've got has a boat dock and I was wondering if it would be worth it, to bring my 19ft. skiff or not. Are there many fishing opportunities for a boat that small? If so, what kinds of fish could we catch? Recommendations?? Any input??
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
This is my report from last years vacation in Hatteras. I have a 23 Carolina Skiff, and all of this was done from that boat. The GREAT!!!! thing about Hatteras is how close the gulf stream is to the inlet.

You'll have a blast...take the boat!!

http://www.tidalfish.com/boards2/viewthread.asp?forum=AMB%5FAP346283117&id=1598&sr1=&sr2=&ExMth=no#post1598

I'll be there again this year from the 20th -27th ?? or something like that...If you're there the same time, I am happy to hook up with someone and do the partner thing offshore...probably safer anyway.

Take plenty of Drone Spoons, with green reflector tape for Kings and Wahoo. We fished them behind #1 and # 2 Planers, with great success last year...good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply butthead. I think we're going the week of the 13th. Not sure though. I don't know anything about the trolling thing. I surely wouldn't feel comfortable taking my boat outside the inlet. Would there be anything inside the inlet worth fishing for???

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
That time of year the Sound water teperatures get pretty warm, which drives alot of fish out. It is a very shallow estuary and the fish do not have alot of deep water options to escape the heat.

When we were there last year, I think the water temps were 86 degrees??

We struggled in the sound, but that could be because of the lack of effort. If the wind was blowing, we usually slept in, and went out on the water in the middle of the day. I'm sure the local shops will have some insight on where to fish, and what time of day to fish the sound.

I would still take the boat. We actually went clamming in the sound one day by where the Ocracoke ferry docks, and had a blast catching well over 100 clams.

Have fun!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts