Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished out of Teachs lair last week, no luck on a slick calm day. We came in early because of a storm and there was limited visibility at best. I was following my outgoing track and watching the markers. I was inside the main buoys and even inside the temporary bouys and ran aground on the south side at oakacoke. Got off the bar went about 100 yards and ran aground again but not as bad. That time I was almost out of the channel on the opposite side. If you fish out of there be careful and don't get in a hurry. Luckily there was no damage and no one hurt. We passed a tender going to reset the bouys after that. I wish he would have been 1 hour earlier.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have fished that area, as well as the Hatteras inlet both are SHALLOW, hitting sand is a common occurrence... thanks for the info

·
Registered
318 Posts
Glad you did not do any real damage. Inlet has been a problem last 3 years down there. We fish out of Teach's on a buddy's private boat and follow the charter fleet in and out of the inlet whenever we can. Just got a call and said markers were being moved again.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Were you up on plane or going slow? Thanks for the info, will look out! R/Chip
Up on plane til I hit. I backed off about 20 yards before I hit or it would have been worse. I just dropped the lower units in my motors and there was sand in them but all is good, no damage just cleaned them out. I've been out 6 times and it gets worse each time.

·
Registered
563 Posts
We went out the 12th and 13th. Ran aground on the Ocracoke side on the middle of the marked channel the first time out. Talked to one of the charter captains who said the CG's reason for not moving the buoys was that it was too shallow for the tender to get to them. I'd recommend following a charter out, marking a track on your plotter and ignoring the buoys. The captain said the ferries are expecting to burn 2 million dollars extra in fuel this year. The place needs to have some dredging done.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I always try to follow the charters as well but we were coming in early to avoid a storm. I clamed with a local who was telling me about a path thru the inlet without running around the sand bar, but I'm not doing that on my own. I did follow one of the Albatross fleet ou and they cut th corner and ran down the backside of Hatteras to the inlet, about 200 yards off the beach.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I fished out of there in May for Cobia and followed one of the Albatross fleet through the middle of the sandbar and the same 200 yds off the beach all the way to the dock... I wouldn't have done it on my own on plane the whole way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts