Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Am Staying in Frisco the week of 8/14-21

I have been fishing offshore in Ocean Isle Beach, but never the Hatteras area. so I have a few questions.....

How is Hatteras Inlet?

How far offshore to get into Dolphin, Kings, ? Not really interested in Tuna or Marlin....well Tuna would be nice, but I think they may be out of my range.

What is the preferred method for catching Kings?

Basically any info one can offer for offshore fishing would be great, and if you want to throw some inshore and soundside fishing advice as well, that would be great. I only have a 23 foot CC, so I have to pick my days and will need a backup plan.

·
Registered
915 Posts
the inlets not bad on most days,worst wind I believe is a SE.You can put over at Teachs lair marina and follow a boat and/or the bouys.
15 to 20 miles NE should put you out far enough and sometimes it can be closer.
Kings like spoons with a piece of meat hanging on the hook or a sea-witch with ballyhoe.
inshore starting at buoy 11 and out towards the inlet is usually good for trout and flounder.
hope you catch-um up mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
The worst wind is south west. You can probably get offshore most any day in a 23 foot boat. I have done it with a 20'6" before but not any more. I moved up. Offshore bottom fishing is excellent most of the time too.

Have a great week.

Fred

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wet kisses...

Now you're talking my language with the offshore bottom fishing[grin]

What can I expect out of hatteras in the way of bottom fishing??

I hate to keep asking all of these stupid questions...Is there anywhere I can get a map with fishing locations on it. I have one for Ocean Isle Beach but not for Hatteras

·
Registered
11 Posts
They have a couple of good charts for sale at the Teach's Lair store (the Roost). Actually, the store has just about everything and they will give you great advice. They are top notch.

·
Registered
78 Posts
the dolphin fishing is red hot. about 10 miles out. plus the have been some sailfish in the same area. as well as kings

·
Registered
111 Posts
In Hatteras, at Oden's Dock, the Miss Hatteras headboat goes offshore and bottom fishes a few times each week. Normal catch consists of triggers, snapper, sea bass, etc. However, every now and then something different slips in. http://www.odensdock.com/

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hatteras Inlet is usually ok, but can be nasty on an outgoing tide with seas and/or swell from a southerly quadrant. For some reason, the tide seems to lag well behind what the tide chart says. You should be able to catch dolphin anywhere you can find some weed beyond 5-8 miles out this time of year. We have found an area called Bad Bottom to be productive, it is up sort of inside the hook of land formed by Cape Point. It is a very large area, lots of bait. Have caught nice gaffers on the troll, not necessarily near weed and caught a very nice sailfish there in 90' of water on Sunday. It is usually a good spot for kings, but we haven't caught but one this year, that's fishing. Should also be a good place for wahoo, we usually have good luck with them, but haven't gotten one yet this year, maybe you will have better luck. There are also a ton on wrecks off Hatteras, and they aren't usually fished that much. Water is really hot this year, I think that may have something to do with the lack of kings, you often get them on the cool side of the break, but the break is so close to shore a lot of days this year, you are practically on the beach.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts