Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm coming down in mid june and I am looking for advice on lures, techniques, etc. for fishing the reefs out of Hatteras Inlet, as this will be my first time doing this. And PLEASE don't get the wrong idea, I'm NOT asking for locations or secrets. Just some help putting myself, my wife and 12 year old daughter on some fish, and the only real experience I have is trolling for stripers. Thanks, Mark.

·
Registered
328 Posts
In mid June outside the Hateras Inlet you can expect kings and mahi trolling a variety of spoons and plainer combos..Some ballyhoo or rattle jets up and down the tide lines will also produce mahis.Spanish will be around as well as some cobia...Triggers and maybe some tile fish or sea bass still around on the wrecks.......Mahis can be reached as close as 5 or 6 miles depending on conditions......Just a few suggestions don't know what size boat you have or how far out you are planning on going or might suggest aspot for you to start at....hope this helps...

·
Registered
10 Posts
thanks for the info

We have a group of kayak fisherman going down June 23-26 for a Oregon Inlet Trip.

Whats the number one tip you can suggest for us?

Al
East Coast Kayak Fishing
www.eastcoastkayakfishing.com

·
Registered
10 Posts
we love the inlet, yes sometimes it is dangerous and wild

we have been fishing there for years

you have to know your limitations and you can always go out another day if its bad or fish from the beach

How about some fishing tips? What's running? What type of lures or bait should we expect to need?

Also does anyone know of some specific links for fishing info down there that we could use and add to our site

thanks again and thanks for the quick response

AL
ECKF

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Richard, I have a 1999 23' Sportcraft center console, but only a single Merc 200, so I may try the gulfstream if it's not too far out. I have plotter, vhf, F/F, and backup handheld GPS, so I'm kinda game to try different things, weather permitting. Oh yeah, I've also got Towboat U.S. unlimited !!!:)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Richard, I have a 1999 23' Sportcraft center console, but only a single Merc 200, so I may try the gulfstream if it's not too far out. I have plotter, vhf, F/F, and backup handheld GPS, so I'm kinda game to try different things, weather permitting. Oh yeah, I've also got Towboat U.S. unlimited !!!:)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Well you can try some inshore stuff just remember those inlets can be trechourous (sp)...Inshore should be very do able....Lots of channels and sloughs inside the inlet....flounder,sea mullet, trout, blues,and drum are very possible every day....If it lays out wind wise you can poke your head out the inlet if you make it through and the wind doesn't get up you can run out and find some tide lines for kings and dolphin, but you better pay attention to the wind forecasts and watch out for those thunder storms....What is your fuel capacity or mile range on a full tank????

·
Registered
328 Posts
Kayak trips you need to hit all the sloughs and holes where the boats cant go....The flouder up in those small hard to get to plcaes go un- molested and get fat and sassy.....Any depth change as little as 6 inches that creates a different current flow will hold them....Back towards the l;ight house there are many little spots that go un fished because of the sand bars limit access to only the most veteran of inlet fishermen like Brian who do it for a living and on a daily basis ....Any cuts between two islands with a channel is always a good bet....Skinny water and a channel the perfect set up....With water depth of 4 to 15 foot you will also find a speckle trout or two...Blues will be everywhere....The traditional sloughs across the inlet are always holding something legal but thats a long paddle in trechourous currents and the inlet can be nasty rough and choppy at times so again pick your days and tides...when they combine in the right direction an 18 foot but with a 115 can be sucked into the pilings if you dont really pay attention.The inlet has gotten really shallow all the way across which really pumps the current threw there when the wind is pushing 15 or more in the same direction.....I hope this helps ya.....Give me a shout when you get down and i'll try to let you know where the hot bite is.....Or you can charter Brian or his wife and they will put you on some fish..They been fishing that inlet longer then me......And they specialize in fly fishing...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Richard, I have a 134 gallon tank. I don't know exact range, but in Jan., I left Oregon Inlet and ran above the Duck Research pier and back and did not burn quite 1/4 of a tank(I think that was an 80 mile or so round trip). I've had the boat in 5-6 footers on the bay,so I think she'll be alright. If you are interested in fishing that week, let me know and I'll give you my cell. Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
thats some awesome info, thank you

you are right about the inlet it can swallow you

we will be careful and there are always other places to go, we will be down there or a couple of days. Flounder, we love to catch um. The last time we were down here we went a mile or 2 out , we followed the channel markers. We saw a large school of dolphin chasing bait, we got into some blues which are always fun

There is going to be a nice group of kayak fisherman coming down so I hope the weather is good

thanks FISHON!

·
Registered
328 Posts
if the weather holds the cobia should be all over the point until mid June .They are worthy of a day or two of trip to hateras.Keep your eyes open as schools of drum will be heading towars the chesapeake bay.Your fuel capacity is more then enough to go to the Empire Jem.We have caught tons of mahi,tuna,kings, and wahoo starting around the jem.The coordinates are on all coastal charts that cover hatteras .I go out there all the time but we have twins and sea tow.If you boats is in excellent mechanical shape I would start around the jem.Along the edge of diamond shoals all the way out to the tower is a good pattern to fish.I usually start at the jem then set my gps to the tower and watch my depth finder to stay on the edge.The tower holds amberjack and barracuda as well as all the above fore mentioned species.280 rocks is also a good desitination.Any tidelines encountered alon the way will hold mahi.A good depth finder and and temp sensor are always good tools to use and pay close attention to.These are all destinations that start about 20 miles out to 36 miles offshore.The cobia will be closer trip as you can follow the beach down looking for cobia.The shoals are nasty so dont try to get to close to them.Spanish mackeral can be trolled for just outside the inlet all the way down to the shoals while looking for cobia.Some lures: cobia (sight casting 4 to 6 oz. bucktails or live bait) kings and spanish can be caught on clark spoons behind trolling sinkers or plainers.mahi can be bailed or trolled on rattle jets or any offshore trollling type baits including nake ballyhoos or mullets.Amberjack will fall for live bait or just about any kind of lure that has lots of action that resembles live bait.drum will be sight casted the same bucktails as for the cobia(tipped with a piece of squid makes cobia and drum hold on better for the hook set as well as a 5 to 7 inch twister tail)Live bait can be caught with a cast net or blood worms or trolling spoons while fishing for spanish)As you can see lots to choose from you have to pick something and target it but be prepared as you may run into just about anything.....I hope this helps ya....be careful and be safe those inlets are nasty and forever changing but on a good day once you get into the ocean there isn't much to it except land thats not so close....check and double check the radio before leaving as at times it may be your only way out of a bad situation.............

·
Registered
147 Posts
with all the specks around i would take a look at new inlet and paddle north and fish the holes along marsh point and that also access the Jack Slough and further north the tar hole.
found the specks behind Rodanthe this week and it was every cast for 2 hours[excited]

·
Registered
474 Posts
Drop into Teach's Lair and pick up a NC Chart - has GPS locations of all artificial reefs and wrecks. Also the guy in the back has lots of advice on tactics. As long as the weather forecast is Ok, you should have no problems. The Bay has more of a chop most days.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts